Need a scanner for my bicycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
After 2,275 miles in 16 months, my Pro 51 has an intermittent. I'll get into it this winter & see if I can fix it. What hand held has good, loud audio & uses AA batteries? Don't need 800 Mhz or trunk tracking. Ideas?

thanks,
bob

CLTX11

Is some sport type headphones not an option, Ie the wrap around the ear kind joggers use?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Try the VX-7R. It's a ham rig, but you can program it to rx only. A big plus is that it's submersible, so you won't have to worry about it raining on it since it'll be used when you're biking.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Crap, I missed the part about the AA batteries. Not sure if they offer anything like that.

Chev_am

WHen ever I go out for a ride I use my PRO-94, It has 800Mhz and trunk, but it uses AA batteries and it's pretty lightweight. I just carry it in it one hand, steer with the other.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Pro-97!

I'd go for the Radio Shack PRO-97 if you don't need digital. It runs on 4 AA batteries, has plenty of channels, and the 'signal stalker' feature is a very handy one when you're interested in something that is close to you.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

CLTX11

Chev_am said:
WHen ever I go out for a ride I use my PRO-94, It has 800Mhz and trunk, but it uses AA batteries and it's pretty lightweight. I just carry it in it one hand, steer with the other.

Have you looked into the Lobster mounts or RAM mounts. I know they have some that fit on the handle bars.

car2back

CLTX11 said:
Have you looked into the Lobster mounts or RAM mounts. I know they have some that fit on the handle bars.

you could just drill a 3/4" hole in the top of you helemet and install an NMO mount and run coax down to your radio.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
phil_smith said:
you could just drill a 3/4" hole in the top of you helemet and install an NMO mount and run coax down to your radio.

*rolls eyes*

Back in my pre-vehicle days, I had a 10 channel RS handheld that I made a holder for on my handlebars. It was padded and held the scanenr fairly well. The scanner held up longer than the mountain bike did.

It was enough for the local PD/FD (VHF), Sheriff (UHF) and railroad.

DickH

rja1 said:
After 2,275 miles in 16 months, my Pro 51 has an intermittent. I'll get into it this winter & see if I can fix it. What hand held has good, loud audio & uses AA batteries? Don't need 800 Mhz or trunk tracking. Ideas?

thanks,
bob

PRO-83 if you can find one. Uses 2 AAs and has good volume. Does 800MHz, non-trunking.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you think you need a scanner on your bycycle you have an addiction. Seek professional councelling immediately.

On the serious side, normal people (define "normal") carry a hand held on a belt clip or carrying strap, your body makes an excellent shock absorber. Tell me something, do you stutter and have vision problems with your eyeballs bouncing up and down? (;->)

LordJ

I use a BC92xlt on my bike with either the stock antenna or an ICOM FA-156b (I mainly listen around that range) I have it attached to the stem of my bike with a motorla frs bicycle holster, it fits like a glove, has a little bungee that wraps around the antenna so it can't fall out, and I can use the buttons and see the display fine. I like to go for long rides alot and It's nice to have cause you never know what could happen...(yes, it is a sickness, but I have it under complete control...)

Chev_am

flyingwolf said:
Folks, just a tought here, but the man said

I am thinking, now bare with me here, that he just may be talking about a motorcycle. Just a thought.

Yes but usually when people say "Bicycle" people think of a non-motor bike. Maybe he calls his motorcycle a bicycle?

radio10-8

Yaesu VR120 is weather resistant and for me has been great for the outdoors, dropped many times and even went on a ride on my back bumper for a few miles. Uses "AA" batteries, BNC antenna and is made of a rugged ABS plastic. No trunking and works very well. Alphanumeric display too.

Status
Not open for further replies.