need advice deciding which Handheld to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

js_in_ky

Hi, I'm a HAM but not an active one, I got my Technician many years ago and at the time was never able to get a radio or get active in any of the local HAM groups but I want to do that now. I've been using a scanner to monitor railroad frequencies but I need to replace it. It seems like I should go with a handheld that I can use both for HAM and rail fanning. I've read on trainorders.com and other sites that lots of people really like the Yaesu FT-270R. Then I started looking and saw for only about $10.00 more you can buy the FT-60R and have the ability to monitor some other frequencies, aviation, some public service here and of course have the dual band HAM capability. Some people have said that I'll lose some sensitivity on the railroad frequencies going with that radio and that I should stick to the FT-270R or another good single band radio. Unfortunately I don't have any stores near me carrying HAM gear so I can't try anything in person to see how they do. Do any of you use a FT-60R or similar dual band for monitoring railroad frequencies and if so how much do you think I'd lose going with it over the FT-270R?
Thanks,
John

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Last dual band radio I had that I liked for rail stuff was my old Icom 24AT dual bander. The last few I've tried, most of them Yaesu models were, well, a disaster, with pagers and other stuff making scanning almost impossible. I finally bought a VX-170 and it's great. Hardly anyone on 440 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.