Need Advice for Setting Up New Pro-162

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharpNEO

Greetings!

I just bought a Pro-162 this earlier this evening and would like to gather some advice for getting it set up. Naturally, I have some interesting reading ahead of me in the manual that came with it. But any advice or suggestions that might not be in the manual, or that might be handled better than suggested in the manual would sure be appreciated. ;)

There was no equipment in the box for connecting it to a computer for programming purposes, nor have I seen any mention of it on the box itself. I did some research before settling on this model, so I know it's possible, just don't know much else about that. I also took a brief look at the programming section on this site, however, there seemed to be a very long list of programs. Is there a particular program that works best for this model? Or is that a decision based on many other personal preferences, as well, as the model?

I'm basically a big noob at this, as I haven't owned a scanner since (the Pro-62 ???) around 1995 or so. Which means I have much reading to do here and elsewhere, as I'm very much looking forward to developing this hobby again. However, once again, any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks! :cool:

Noklue3

Also a new guy

I bought one two weeks ago and have the pretty much the same questions. There is some info in this thread: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111181
However, this is my first scanner and the manual assumes you know the basics, which I don't.
Couple things I have found out: Scancat does not support the 162 yet and several members have advised to use Butel instead. There is a Beta version for the 162 which I downloaded but I believe you have to buy a subscrition to this site-RadioReference- to download the info to your scanner. The Butel Beta only has the first 4 banks and the full version comes out at the end of July.
There are two cables at least, a USB (RS 20-047 I think) and a serial (RS 20-289). Butel says the serial will not work with their program.
Again, being new to this, I may have some info wrong and sure would appreciate any help the members may have. I've read the manual and tried to program in the trunking freq's and it did not work for me. I'd like to see a basic step by step way to program this.

Thanks,

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The first questions to be asked: where are you (city/county/state will do nicely)? Precisely what are you trying to program? Our database here can be a big help to you - just click on 'database' at the top blue toolbar. Supply the URL(s) where your data is laid out. This will give you and everyone else a starting point. 73 Mike

[edit] Many newcomers get tripped up on the concepts of trunking - so let's start there - our wiki has an article with many links on the subject. Stick to the overview section for now (anything underlined and/or in blue is a link)

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking

The wiki can be accessed by looking at the same dark blue toolbar - just hit 'wiki' and away you go. Scroll down and look right about 2/3 of the way down the page under 'Special Topics'. There's a link to a glossary which should also be helpful. Here are 2 other wiki articles that may prove helpful

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Common_Conventional_Programming_Questions

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Common_Trunking_Programming_Questions

Last edited:

n2mdk

chesterwarez

I am an owner of the PRO-162, and I am by far a NOOB at this. I have managed to program my local states talkgroups in this scanner, but i did them manually. I have used the Arc160 software to load regualr scanner frequencies and it worked flawlessly. However, when i try to do the same with talkgroups through Arc160, I have yet to have any success. There is alot let for me to learn with this rediscovered hobby, I have read countless pages, wiki articles, the manual etc, and I am still lost in alot of areas as far as my scanner is concern. Unless you already know the basics, you are gonna need someone willing to help you hands-on. Its a long process when trying to teach yourself, because we being beginners with this model is alot of work. I think that the users of this model should work together as NOOBs and conquer this model.

Back to the software, I use Arc160 and as someone has said it only uploads to the 0-4 banks.....It doesnt read from the scanner. I use the RS 20-047 cable and it works well. I am in SC and I have managed to get Palmetto 800 talkgroups programmed into this thing. I am still learning! I need to learn how to get the Alpha/text to display when I stop on a talkgroup for identification purposes. I have some of them memorized, so therefore I know who is communicating with whom. I also need to learn how to save them as more show up when I am scanning.

I am willing to share what I have learn with other owners. I am also willing to learn from other owners of this model.

SharpNEO

Wow! Nice amount of information to get me started. Thanks for the quick replies!

@ noklue3, seems as if we're in the same boat! But, judging from the replies so far, and the little bit of info I've searched out on the site so far, it seems we're in the right place.
However, you now have me wondering if the manual is even a good place to begin reading. Perhaps searching this site for "162" threads and reading the Wiki might be a better alternative for me.

@ ka3jjz, thanks for the links and the very good advice. Here's a step-by-step for anyone that might later find this thread.

• I began by clicking on the "Database" link at the top of this page. I found a map of my the United States staring at me, as well as, a list of "quick Links" to various large cities in the U.S. and finally, a bunch of search boxes for searching out various types of information. Now, me being a noob and all, I didn't try to do any searches. I just looked at the U.S. map and clicked on my state.
  • I live in Northeast Ohio, so I clicked on my state on the map and it brought up another map of Ohio that was broken up by counties and there was also a listing of the counties in Ohio located below the map. (There was even more information located on one side of the page, but let's keep going for my local stuff first....)
  • I located my county and clicked on it, and... Voila! There was more links and more information relevant to State and County radio information than I've ever seen in my life!
  • I figure that is good point for exploration and discovery, so I'll stop my tour there. But I will say, that Radio-Reference made the process quick, easy, and it cost me all of three mouse clicks to find the information for the area in which I live, as well as the surrounding areas and the state. That's a great deal!.

Another useful link I found (which is actually the way I found this great site) is located in the Wiki: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-162 provides a very nicely detailed listing of links and information about my scanner. I'm sure there are others, but it was that page that helped me decide on purchasing the 162, so that's the one I'm promoting.:cool:

@n2mdk, thank you for the info on the cable and the for the links as well. You just saved me some time.

@ chesterwarez, I'm hoping I don't the actual hand's -on help, though, it might work out that way. I'm somewhat of a computer geek... Okay, a big computer geek. I also dabble in programming some web languages, maintain about 5 websites, moderate forums on a few sites, and I'm an avid online gamer. So hopefully I can pick up on some things pretty easily. Very optimistic approach, but I'm hoping for the best.

However, I am with you 100% on the idea that us noob's should work together to conquer this thing. Hopefully, we can do that and manage to leave a trail of bread crumbs for other new people to follow. Obviously, I will have to do some more reading (and, dare I say, some experimenting :roll: ) before I know the differences between the software types. However, everyone that responded here has given some great starting points.

Thanks for the great replies. Hopefully, we can turn this thread in to something that will save the next noob from having to ask these questions and the more that will follow. :cool:

I can't wait to get started on some reading, however, I have to go take care of the lawn first. If the wife catches me screwing around with my new toy before the grass is cut, my mother-in-law might soon own my new toy! :confused:

Thanks everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.