Need advice for short run of THIN coax for UHF yagi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Hello
I am looking to get one of these EM Wave EM-B11809 YAGI and what I am planning to attempt is to mount this on a short mast attached to the gutter on second floor outside my shack window. That will get yagi up above side of house. But since the run of coax will be roughly the same length as the mag mount I am currently using, I need to use a THINNER type coax. The yagi has pigtail with female "N" connector. So I can order a 17' length of coax with N (male) connector on one end and regular UHF (pl-259) on other end. My question is since this coax length is short, what type of cable could I use? I am trying to avoid mounting this yagi on one of my other antenna masts, cause then I would need a longer cable run. And I know on high frequencies, the more cable the more loss. Right now I am using an 800mhz mag mount that is attached to a small ground plane and set inside the gutter on roof right outside my shack window. My shack is on 2nd floor. It does work pretty good but even with my new SDS200 I still get a bit of simulcast issues. I am thinking from what I have read a yagi may help. And for the price its really no problem. So is there a thinner coax with low loss that is good for short runs on 800mhz?

Attachments

• 100_2728.JPG
    100_2728.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_2729.JPG
    100_2729.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_2732.JPG
    100_2732.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 17

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The other option is since the cable would be thin, maybe they can make a custom cable with N connector on one end and BNC on other.

There are a few vendors on Ebay that sell theses in various lenghts and custom lengths. Just search coax with type-n bnc connectors. Make sure you get the gender correct.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
You can order custom cables here with the connectors you need, N on the antenna end, and BNC for your scanner end.

The smaller cable is going to have quite a bit of loss at 800MHz. Using the larger cable, like LMR-240 would be your best shot. Try to avoid RG-174 and those really thin cables if you can.
Yep thanks! I ordered the Lmr 240 with the connectors. Now to order antenna.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
How about RG-400? That's what I'm using.
I really would rather use the LMR 400 but due to very restrictive mounting options here I need to use something low loss and smaller diameter. I suppose the RG 400 would be ok too. But I need to keep run very short and will be mounting the yagi on a short conduit pole attached to the rain downspout up against side of house. It's sort of a semi-permanent installation. Just like the mag mount I have up in gutter. If I could only get up on roof I could have better mounting options. Roof off limits. No way to get up there cause the pitch of patio roof is way too steep and nothing to grab onto to pull myself up to get on main roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.