Need advice from the group...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAMKM6

I'm new to the scanning world. I'm a HAM and am looking into purchasing a digital trunking scanner. However I'm reading on this forum that there is increasingly less to listen to due to the shift to encrypted communication. Is it still worth it?

allend

Premium Subscriber
Yes encryption is on the rise at alarming rates but depending on where you live and what you want to listen to I would buy the Uniden SDS-200.

Stay away from Whistler and the other models. This new scanner radio has very sensitive filters built into the radio so you can pickup far distance repeaters and trunking systems.

Question: Where do you live and what do you want to listen to? Your geographic area is a big decision maker on what radio you want to purchase and how much money you want to invest in a radio or radios. Hopefully this makes sense.

Trust me I can point in the best direction possible for the right radio and the money that you want to spend.

HAMKM6

Yes encryption is on the rise at alarming rates but depending on where you live and what you want to listen to I would buy the Uniden SDS-200.

Stay away from Whistler and the other models. This new scanner radio has very sensitive filters built into the radio so you can pickup far distance repeaters and trunking systems.

Question: Where do you live and what do you want to listen to? Your geographic area is a big decision maker on what radio you want to purchase and how much money you want to invest in a radio or radios. Hopefully this makes sense.

Trust me I can point in the best direction possible for the right radio and the money that you want to spend.

Thank you for you answer Allend, I'm in the Glendale/Burbank area and I want to stay informed so listening to local law enforcement/fire department chatter has been key in helping me keep my family safe from the fires and whatnot. Up to now I have been using iphone apps but wanted something more robust that is not dependent on cell phone service.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Well since you live in the Burbank/Glendale area you will have a lot to listen too. You can either go with a BCD996P2 Uniden radio which you can almost get for about 340.00 bucks now on Ebay which works really well for your needs. Really no Phase II so this radio would work great.

But if you want to go with a great radio with a nice large size colored screen then SDS-200 will be a great radio if you decide that spending 700.00 for a radio is something you can afford. My opinion I would go with the latest and greatest. Its the filters that can be used to pick up distance trunked systems. Works great with P25. I have a system that I can pickup in SBDCO with my SDS-200 using the filters that my BCD996P2 can't even tune in at all.

HAMKM6

Well since you live in the Burbank/Glendale area you will have a lot to listen too. You can either go with a BCD996P2 Uniden radio which you can almost get for about 340.00 bucks now on Ebay which works really well for your needs. Really no Phase II so this radio would work great.

But if you want to go with a great radio with a nice large size colored screen then SDS-200 will be a great radio if you decide that spending 700.00 for a radio is something you can afford. My opinion I would go with the latest and greatest. Its the filters that can be used to pick up distance trunked systems. Works great with P25. I have a system that I can pickup in SBDCO with my SDS-200 using the filters that my BCD996P2 can't even tune in at all.

Thank you for the great advice Allend. I went with your recommendation a ordered a SDS-200. I wanted a device that is as current as possible so that it can have the best service life I can get from it. If I get a less expensive model I'd have to buy a more current model later to keep up and spend more that I would have initially. Whatever the case, thank you again, and I'll be reaching out soon!

allend

Premium Subscriber
Also, keep in mind that when you buy this radio it will do wonders for you. I would put up a big antenna on your roof if you can.

Also, there is a slight defect with some HUM noise that can be noticed that comes out of the speaker. There was a guy that figured out the HUM fix and its works. You have to open up the radio and do some mod fix which is a bit challenging but I did it and it works wonderful now. I still think the production models out for sale are still having the HUM noise and Uniden hasn't fixed it yet. So get the radio all dialed in and you might notice or not. It might bother you or not. Some people don't notice it but it annoyed me for a few months and I finally fixed it. Basically its a grounding issue with the radio. This will be something that you can fix down the road once you get the radio up to speed. There is a thread out there on the fix step by steps

Eng74

If you are wanting to listen to fire you are in a great place. You can get Verdugo Fire, LACoFD, LA City, SBCoFD, and if and when OCFA gets their system back open you can add them too.

allend

Premium Subscriber
If you are wanting to listen to fire you are in a great place. You can get Verdugo Fire, LACoFD, LA City, SBCoFD, and if and when OCFA gets their system back open you can add them too.

Yes, he is very centrally located in a good area. This is why I advised him to try and get an outside antenna maybe like a discone to get it high up at or 30 ft if possible. Might be-able to get Ventura County too and get the majority of low band CHP too.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
HAMKM6. Welcome to scanning. I've been a ham since 1963 and scanning since 1970s. The SDS-200 is a great scanner and will serve you well. Radio Reference is a great resource.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I highly recommend the Uniden SDS100 (or 200) scanner for the LA area. I am actually from there, and visit frequently, so I have all of the LA systems in FLs on my 100 - and San Diego/LaJolla/Escondido area - so I do keep several California systems in my SDS100 and TRX-1. So very reliable and easy to flip systems off and on as I go. The SDS100 is THE scanner for southern California monitoring. I travel with 4 handhelds - my Yaesu FT60R 2m/440 HT, Uniden BC125AT, Whistler TRX-1, and my SDS100. Never leave home without them :)

To the OP, even tho some agencies are 'going dark' all over the US, there is still so much more to listen to in your locale. If you want a scanner that will keep up with the LA area, you won't be disappointed with the Uniden SDS100.

JD
kf4anc

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Encryption is becoming the new norm in my area as more and more counties around me are moving towards it. However law enforcement accounts for only a small portion of everything I listen to. I'm satisfied with my SDS100 with all the upgrades and I've got numerous other receivers which I use to monitor various different things. There's a world of interesting things to listen to aside from law enforcement, public safety, etc. It's quite fun to scan the various bands and find new things to monitor, no matter where you are. Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase & 73!

Status
Not open for further replies.