Need advice in setting up PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjhsba

I just purchased a PSR-800 and am trying to figure out the best way to set it up. At this point, I'm just using the data on the SD card as I won't have access to a PC for about a week.

I went to my state>city-county>category listings and selected police and fire for several local jurisdictions. Do I just import them all into Scanlist 001 (or 002), or do various agencies need to go into different Scanlists? If the latter, do I, for example, put city police in Scanlist 002 and then rename Scanlist 002 as City Police? Then do the same for other agencies and Scanlists? Or am I making this all too complicated?

If I put an agency into Scanlist 002, then add a different agency into that Scanlist, does it overwrite the information or just add to it? Is there a way to delete information in each Scanlist?

I haven't yet figured out how to set the little light to come on in, I assume, various colors, to indicate which agencies are being scanned.

Also, how do you determine the firmware of the scanner . . . do you have to do using a computer?

Sorry for all the questions . . . I've had various scanners over the years (I'll date myself and even admit I owned ones that were crystal controlled) but this one is rather unique and I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of it. If anybody is in the Southern CA area that owns one and wants to show me the ropes, let me know. I'll buy lunch!

Thanks.

rwier

I just purchased a PSR-800 and am trying to figure out the best way to set it up. At this point, I'm just using the data on the SD card as I won't have access to a PC for about a week.

I went to my state>city-county>category listings and selected police and fire for several local jurisdictions. Do I just import them all into Scanlist 001 (or 002), or do various agencies need to go into different Scanlists? If the latter, do I, for example, put city police in Scanlist 002 and then rename Scanlist 002 as City Police? Then do the same for other agencies and Scanlists? Or am I making this all too complicated?

If I put an agency into Scanlist 002, then add a different agency into that Scanlist, does it overwrite the information or just add to it? Is there a way to delete information in each Scanlist?

I haven't yet figured out how to set the little light to come on in, I assume, various colors, to indicate which agencies are being scanned.

Also, how do you determine the firmware of the scanner . . . do you have to do using a computer?

Sorry for all the questions . . . I've had various scanners over the years (I'll date myself and even admit I owned ones that were crystal controlled) but this one is rather unique and I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of it. If anybody is in the Southern CA area that owns one and wants to show me the ropes, let me know. I'll buy lunch!

Thanks.

There are many advocates on the Forums for programming using the radio. I am not one of them.

Using the EZScan Software, you will be offered the opportunity to select the Scanlist you want to import to. I deselect all , and that puts the import into the "Unassigned Objects" Scanlist. It is extremely easy to distribute items in the said UO Scanlist to one, or more, Scanlists of your choice. In the Software, you have two options when removing "Objects" from a Scanlist. They are "Remove" and "Delete". Remove puts them back in the UO Scanlist for future use. Delete actually removes them from the program (they will need to be imported again if ever needed.). I never delete.

In the Software, you can change the Alpha Tags of Systems, Departments, Channels/TGIDs, Scanlists, and more. This includes copy/cut/paste (and many other standard Windows editing features), allowing transfers from active websites, for instance. Can't do that using just the radio.

In the Software, the LCD, LED, colors, and flash sequences (many possible combinations/options), are easily controlled (after a little learning curve, lol). I can't imagine even understanding all of those options using the radio only.

I don't have a "ready" answer for your firmware question.

Once you get to a computer with EZScan installed, just holler if you hit a snag. You will get detailed answers to detailed questions right here, lol!

Rob

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
You can put anything in the scanlists you want-- and adding more just adds to what is there - it doesn't replace/overwrite.

It is easier to do many things though the EZ Scan software but you do have options in the radio - both globally and per object(talkgroup, channel).

Using the radio user interface, press MENU and scroll to settings -- step through the settings to so some options.

For "per object (talkgroup)" options, hit MENU while the radio is stopped on an active talkgroup (or hit MENU and scroll to Browse Objects) - there you will see the per channel/object settings -- LED, backlight, alarms, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.