need advice on new scanner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickmanning

Premium Subscriber
I'm back in Atlanta after a few years and I need to upgrade my scanner to get Atlanta, Cobb, etc. What are you guys using? I'd prefer a handheld...something that isn't too expensive. What's good? I seriously haven't touched this in years so just need some advice to go on. Thanks.

SCPD

QRT
Being every thing is eventually going digital you will need to spend a little money & get a digital scanner.
they can get pricey, BUT that's the way to go now day's. Hope this helps.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
your only real options IF you want to be able to monitor current and future systems in the metro Atlanta area are one of the new Uniden X36 scanners.

Most public safety in the metro area (that isn't encrypted) is phase 1, with phase 2 right around the corner here in Cobb, and the new Fulton county DTRS will have phase 2 talkgroups, and the new (if it ever gets off the ground) North Fulton URS will be purely phase 2. Clayton county's new 700MHz DTRS is also pure phase 2, though all talkgroups will utilize AES-256 encryption, so forget about using any scanner to monitor them.

N8IAA

I'm back in Atlanta after a few years and I need to upgrade my scanner to get Atlanta, Cobb, etc. What are you guys using? I'd prefer a handheld...something that isn't too expensive. What's good? I seriously haven't touched this in years so just need some advice to go on. Thanks.

Atlanta, Gwinnett, DeKalb, and Forsyth are Phase I P-25.

The Georgia State Patrol is transitioning to P-25 conventional.

As MTS2000des has stated, there will be some going to Phase II and encrypted. When this happens, there will be fewer things to monitor.

I would stay away from the Uniden x36HP's until they get their act together and come through with what they promised the scanners would be able to do.

As of now, a Uniden 396XT handheld, or the 996XT base, would do fine for you.

Welcome to the Metro area.
Larry

tiggen

I am also in ATL and looking for a scanner. It's down to the two mentioned in this thread, the 436HP and the 396xt.

I'm most interested in Zone 2 APD, then Fulton Co/Roswell PD as these are the two areas I work and live. I wouldn't mind listening to other systems in the metro area. I spend 90% of my life in those two places, but I occasionally travel to other places.

My question is this: why would I buy a 396xt when I can have a 436HP for $50 more? From what I understand, these two scanners can both pick up what I want to hear (unless of course APD and Fulton CO/Roswell go encrypted?). It seems to me that the convenience of the 436HP is worth the extra $50. As I am new to and somewhat daunted by digital scanning/trunked systems, ease of use and convenience are appealing. Not to mention that with two small kids, I don't have a lot of free time.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the encryption. I don't need a $450 or a $500 brick on my desk.

N8IAA

I am also in ATL and looking for a scanner. It's down to the two mentioned in this thread, the 436HP and the 396xt.

I'm most interested in Zone 2 APD, then Fulton Co/Roswell PD as these are the two areas I work and live. I wouldn't mind listening to other systems in the metro area. I spend 90% of my life in those two places, but I occasionally travel to other places.

My question is this: why would I buy a 396xt when I can have a 436HP for $50 more? From what I understand, these two scanners can both pick up what I want to hear (unless of course APD and Fulton CO/Roswell go encrypted?). It seems to me that the convenience of the 436HP is worth the extra $50. As I am new to and somewhat daunted by digital scanning/trunked systems, ease of use and convenience are appealing. Not to mention that with two small kids, I don't have a lot of free time.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the encryption. I don't need a $450 or a $500 brick on my desk.

On Fulton county, I would wait to actually see whether or not they go silent. Read some of the posts here on that subject.
Knowing the problems people are having with the new x36HP scanners, it wouldn't be my choice for listening to ATL and the Fulton county system. The 396XT will work quite well for you.
HTH,
Larry

Premium Subscriber
to both who are looking I just got my Uniden 396XT ..... highly recommend it. Will buy you a couple years until we get a better type 2 scanner. If your not in a hurry some really nice deals on ebay.

rapidcharger

People have said your scanner will be largely useless due to the encryption but they are of course referring to police. If you don't really care about police, there are other things like businesses and hams to listen to. Of course a lot of businesses are going digital but if you want to listen to what's left of business and the ham band, something that will simply do vhf and uhf should do. If you want to listen to public safety, I wouldn't even bother but it depends on where you are and what you want to listen to.

tiggen

Well, got a hell of a deal on a 996xt. Spent about three hours learning to program it, by hand, as I was unaware that I'd need a serial to USB adapter. Took a little while to get it down, but I had a few talk groups from APD, AFD, and Grady EMS up and running. Now I'll have to learn all the cop lingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.