Status
Not open for further replies.

StormTrance

Premium Subscriber
I used to listen to a scanner from about the age of 17 - 20. I'm now in my 40's and was thinking I wanted to do it again. However, reading over the forum a little I am completely lost. It's amazing what one can forget what they once knew.

Anyway, my question is can someone advise me on a handheld scanner that will work well in the Hillsborough county (and possibly surrounding area depending on if I move)? At the moment, price isn't really too much of a factor. I just want to be sure I get one that works well in the area while I study up on the lingo, abbreviations, 10 codes, etc.

Any further advice on the matter is also greatly appreciated!!

P.S. If anyone who has some advice has a referral link they'd like me to use I'd be more than happy to use it if it's for the scanner I end up wanting.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forums:
Database shows Hillsborough County & Tampa are still on EDACS here. However I'm also seeing a P25 Phase-II system (newer) here. The thread here seems to suggest that agencies on EDACS will eventually migrate to the P25 Phase-II system, doesn't seem imminent though (an eventual transition is understandable though since EDACS is EOL). With that said all trunking Scanner models from Uniden, Whistler, Radio Shack, and GRE are able to trunktrack EDACS but if they do migrate to P25 Phase-II you'll need one of these (TDMA)

Last edited:

StormTrance

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forums:
Database shows Hillsborough County & Tampa are still on EDACS here. However I'm also seeing a P25 Phase-II system (newer) here. The thread here seems to suggest that agencies on EDACS will eventually migrate to the P25 Phase-II system, doesn't seem imminent though (an eventual transition is understandable though since EDACS is EOL). With that said all trunking Scanner models from Uniden, Whistler, Radio Shack, and GRE are able to trunktrack EDACS but if they do migrate to P25 Phase-II you'll need one of these (TDMA)

A huge amount of thanks for pointing me in the right direction to get up to speed!! It would have taken me forever to figure out what I needed to find and then where to find it!! You're a lifesaver!!

StormTrance

Premium Subscriber
I have been scanning since 2005, the Uniden SDS-100 is the best hand held P25 scanner I have ever used. I would advise buying a neoprene case for it for a little added protection.

So weird that you mention that scanner. I was just looking at it when I got the reply from @Whiskey3JMC. I looked up to see if it would support the P25 Phase II and it seems to! I also saw that some of the features require an "upgrade" of some kind I think I saw. Now I have to figure out what that's all about and if I need them.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
A huge amount of thanks for pointing me in the right direction to get up to speed!! It would have taken me forever to figure out what I needed to find and then where to find it!! You're a lifesaver!!

Just keep your expectations low. Motorola radios cost a bundle because they are over-engineered for most applications; consumer-grade scanners are not. Expect garbled audio, inability to receive when you are certain you should be, encryption (LOTS of encryption in Florida these days).

You can always monitor marine and railroad traffic, both are fairly busy over in your nape of the woods.

bikergeek

I would not spend big bucks on a scanner these days if you live in an area that has encrypted radio service or is expected to have it in the near future. What's the point if it will not receive anything. I am looking to move to the Palm Beach County area soon and I see their police radio service is encrypted making it impossible to listen to anything on that service. Not sure what to do with my portable when I get there. I do listen to aeronautical broadcasts, EMS and police. May be very disappointing.

StormTrance

Premium Subscriber
Just keep your expectations low. Motorola radios cost a bundle because they are over-engineered for most applications; consumer-grade scanners are not. Expect garbled audio, inability to receive when you are certain you should be, encryption (LOTS of encryption in Florida these days).

You can always monitor marine and railroad traffic, both are fairly busy over in your nape of the woods.

Do you have a suggestion on a radio that might fit my needs better?

wtp

stormtrance,
you did mention surrounding areas, Polk county is on a simulcast system and the SDS's are the best ones for that.
so for that reason and the fact they are about the best radios i vote for an SDS radio.
i bought a uniden 325P2 and get great reception on our 700Mhz simulcast system, everywhere except for my house.
the next radio for me will be an SDS one.

epersson

Feed Provider
I will add that the P25rx is a low cost alternative and is a great radio that works with P25 and Simulcast excellent. Doesn't receive conventional but there isn't that much of that down here...

BlueTail Technlogies – BlueTail Technologies

This is Broward BSO P25p2 simulcast on the P25rx

ke4crc

Premium Subscriber
I'm told Tampa CITY PD & Fd are running a different Type of Transmission Plant City & Temple Terrace city are using Hillsborough County's P25
Polk County is p25 Phase 1 & there are only a few channels that are ENC.
Polk County doesn't receive very well outside of Polk County

zlandmedia

not that florida man
I use my SDS100 to listen and record the Hillsborough county P25 and Edacs systems, it works well.
This is just a gripe with the SDS100 but I have noticed with the EDACS system it tends to bleed over channels every now and then. Occasionally I will hear the control channel noise over a voice transmission on the EDACS system. However it works like a charm with P25.

Status
Not open for further replies.