Need Advice on selecting a radio (Tensun 660/880/?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4SZO

Hello,
Long time ham. Been out of the hobby for years and just started to get back in late last year with dual band ht.

Now looking for a low cost SW receiver. I have seen that the Tensun 660 has good reviews and wondering how it compares to the newer 880 model? Does anyone have both? Or is there another brand that is better for around the same amount of money?

Amazon just told me they are having inventory problems with Tensun, can you recommend another source?

Thanks!
Fletch, N4SZO

N4SZO

Universal Radio has 'em on their website

Tecsun PL660, Tecsun PL-660

And as for reviews, we have quite a number of places you can go for them listed here...

Category:Receiver Reviews - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Thanks,- I saw the review of the 660 and it looks good. They mention the 880 but that is all I could find.
From what I have read the 880 had problems when first introduced and I wondering if those have been sorted out yet. Is it worth the $40-$50 more or is the 660 still a better bet?

Fletch

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Look again - there are a few user reviews on the 880 on eHam...and there's also one on Radio Jay Allen - however nowadays one of the best places to find specific info on a receiver is Yahoo groups - someone invariably sets one up dedicated for that use. Here are a couple of links - from the category I gave you earlier - to get you started

radiojayallen | Jay's Radio Reviews, Comparisons & Restorations

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TecsunPL-880/info

And I can't remember where I saw it - one of the Yahoo groups I subscribe to - but there was an issue with using the USB charging cord causing a large amount of RFI on AM and LW, but otherwise was working well.

Research! Mike

N4SZO

Look again - there are a few user reviews on the 880 on eHam...and there's also one on Radio Jay Allen - however nowadays one of the best places to find specific info on a receiver is Yahoo groups - someone invariably sets one up dedicated for that use. Here are a couple of links - from the category I gave you earlier - to get you started

radiojayallen | Jay's Radio Reviews, Comparisons & Restorations

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TecsunPL-880/info

And I can't remember where I saw it - one of the Yahoo groups I subscribe to - but there was an issue with using the USB charging cord causing a large amount of RFI on AM and LW, but otherwise was working well.

Research! Mike

I stayed up late last night and read what I could...
And I found those groups and just subscribed. I asked the same question last night on the 880 group. I also read older posts and honestly it was next to impossible to come up with a consensus. Some people are very happy with the 880 while others returned them . Main issues (for those that have them) are AGC and sync. I think everyone has the sync problem but not sure about AGC.

AT this point it's almost a coin toss.If I go with the 880 I may have to use Amazon so if there is a problem I can return.

Oh and what you said about the pwr supply is pretty much universal, but I am sure if you get a clean 5volt power supply you can avoid issue. On the plus side, it is easy to find usb power source almost anywhere.

N4SZO

I decided to take a chance on the 880 and ordered it last night. My guess is there is a Q/A issue as some love it , some hate it.

I will give it a fair chance, but can return/exchange it if I get a bad one. Amazon is having some kinda of inventory/shipping problem- they implied it was on the vendor's side , but I still should have it Tuesday evening.

Thanks again for the help,
N4SZO

N4SZO

Well I ended up buying both the 880 and the 660. It is a close call, they are both great radios.

Sometimes the 660 is better on weak signals, other times the 880 seems to do better when interference is near.

Both are far better than the portables of long ago.

As long as you get a good one, I don't think you will go wrong ether way.

73, N4SZO

JustLou

I have the 660, and it's one of the best portable radios I own. It's one of my "keepers".

Status
Not open for further replies.