• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need advice on what Radio to purchase for monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jandreoli2

I am trying to get a radio for communications within the 450-512mhz band of UHF-High.

I am debating about getting just a p-25 compliant analog versus spending the extra to get a P-25 digital. I monitor in Southern California mostly, and LAPD seems to be the primary group that I communicate with/monitor that uses NAC codes. Most everyone else only uses analog systems like CTCSS etc.

Do you think that more departments will migrate to P-25 digital like NAC and TGID's etc.

I am on a limited budget but don't want to buy cheap now and then purchase expensive later and double up the costs.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Search and Rescue Technician, Type 3, California Emergency Mobile Patrol

D

DaveNF2G

Use a scanner for monitoring. It's cheaper and far more flexible.

If you have a need to communicate with other agencies by radio, then your organization should be pursuing licensing and/or authorizations from the relevant agencies to use their frequencies. The communications/technical people from those agencies can best advise you as to equipment. If you are really an "official" entity, then you should be able to get radios on state bid.

Jandreoli2

Thanks

I appreciate your advice, but we are not a government agency, we are a volunteer search and rescue operating as an auxiliary division of our local Police Department. We are non-profit and do not have any budget for purchasing radios, which is why we ourselves must purchase them. We communicate and have license to use our own frequencies in the UHF band, as well as being authorized to Utilize the local's frequencies during Missions, and in the event of an emergency.

Scanners do not afford the ability to communicate simply monitor.

Thanks!

12dbsinad

Its hard to predict who, what, or when an agency will migrate to P25. Some get sucked into the salesman with the tie who is a good public speaker who tells you what you want to hear... others not so easily. So its really hard to say.

If you have P25 in your area already however, I would suggest purchasing a P25 radio. As it is always backwards compatable to analog systems. The other thing I would find out are what type of systems they are using... P25 conventional, P25 trunking, etc... this will make a difference on what you purchase and if its going to be compatable. Typically speaking P25 trunking radios are more expensive than P25 conventional only ones... however its dependent on the brand.

So long as its a true P25 system and its not at all a proprietary system, I would consider looking at Kenwood and Icom P25 radios. They both make great products and are very price competitive. Motorola however makes a good product, but you will pay dearly for the bat wings no questions asked.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

If you are a 501(c)(3) organization, perhaps you can attract some outside funding for your communications needs. You might also get a manufacturer or shop to donate some equipment. Either would be tax-deductible for your benefactor(s).

Jandreoli2

All Done

Thank you for the advice, I found an ICOM P-25 digital radio that had a minor cosmetic flaw on the rear of it, got it for around $600. Was used as a DEMO radio. It meets my purposes for the same cost as a non-digital so I took it.

Appreciate all your advice, thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.