need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4c346

hello ,i just did the update on my 396t scanner,i accidently put 56 bps instead of 115 bps on the scanner and couldn't go back into it,so i put in 56bps on the download.it went through,but the gargle and cuuting out on p25 is the same .it does scan faster .should i put in the correct bps and re- download the update?if not please give me some help on getting the gargle noise out of the scanner.your help is appreciated.thanks

Highpockets

b4c346 said:
hello ,i just did the update on my 396t scanner,i accidently put 56 bps instead of 115 bps on the scanner and couldn't go back into it,so i put in 56bps on the download.it went through,but the gargle and cuuting out on p25 is the same .it does scan faster .should i put in the correct bps and re- download the update?if not please give me some help on getting the gargle noise out of the scanner.your help is appreciated.thanks

First, it might help if you tell us where you live, state, county, city and what system you are trying to listen to. If the upgrade went through ok, and the scanner shows it did, it should be ok.

b4c346

steve

thanks for writing back. i live about 20 minutes from new orleans and listening to the latie system.the update say's that the gargle noise i'm getting should have cleared it up.any other suggestions would help please

Highpockets

b4c346 said:
thanks for writing back. i live about 20 minutes from new orleans and listening to the latie system.the update say's that the gargle noise i'm getting should have cleared it up.any other suggestions would help please

Have you reloaded your entire setup from your software backup as suggested?

b4c346

steve

thanks again,so steve your saying after i put the update in ,i needed to delete out everything and re-install it?i did not do that,but i will if i understand you right. i don't have any software yet,so i'm doing everything with the scanner,but its not a problem.i need to get some software before i wear out that top volume knob lol.correct me if i'm not understanding you correctly.again thanks for your help,my last scanner was a pro51 radio shack i bought in 1995,so i'm new to the up to date scanners.

Highpockets

b4c346 said:
thanks again,so steve your saying after i put the update in ,i needed to delete out everything and re-install it?i did not do that,but i will if i understand you right. i don't have any software yet,so i'm doing everything with the scanner,but its not a problem.i need to get some software before i wear out that top volume knob lol.correct me if i'm not understanding you correctly.again thanks for your help,my last scanner was a pro51 radio shack i bought in 1995,so i'm new to the up to date scanners.

Before you do anything I would take your time and read in the Uniden forum,"Post V-2 Update Performance for BC396- bc996" There is allot of info there, and you may come across one that is what your going through. You may find what ails you there with a fix.
Sorry that's all I an offer at this time...

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I read your comment in the Post V2 update thread, but figured I would comment here since this was started by you. In NOLA, you are probably trying to listen to the simulcast sites (north or south). While not perfect the upgrade did, in fact, make them at least monitorable. Prior to the upgrade, those sites were mostly unintelligible on Uniden and RS (if only using the 800 MHz channels) scanners whereas the newer GRE models performed better. After the upgrade, the Uniden models at least allowed you to follow a conversation. That said, there is quite a lot going on in NOLA, and there are a lot of frequencies being used. On the north simulcast site (I have not monitored the south site for any length of time), I know that not all of the repeaters are timed just right; this is based on my listening (when in town) and noticing that some frequencies are more garbled than others. This is not just a scanner problem, but also a system problem. Occasionally (not often) you will here a dispatcher or unit ask for a repeat because of the same garbled performance.

Now, you should be using software with your radio. The UASD software (from Uniden) is free (if money is an object) and would serve to help you put things back in order. If you had backed up everything before the upgrade (as recommended) you could just reload the backup and you would be good to go. This firmware update does (unintentionally) change some things in the radio setup and you really need to reload the radio. I would recommend downloading a software product, and building your new stuff from there. If you go with the UASD software, contact me via PM with your email and I would be glad to send you what I have (although you probably would want to just use it as a starting point).

Highpockets

loumaag said:
I read your comment in the Post V2 update thread, but figured I would comment here since this was started by you. In NOLA, you are probably trying to listen to the simulcast sites (north or south). While not perfect the upgrade did, in fact, make them at least monitorable. Prior to the upgrade, those sites were mostly unintelligible on Uniden and RS (if only using the 800 MHz channels) scanners whereas the newer GRE models performed better. After the upgrade, the Uniden models at least allowed you to follow a conversation. That said, there is quite a lot going on in NOLA, and there are a lot of frequencies being used. On the north simulcast site (I have not monitored the south site for any length of time), I know that not all of the repeaters are timed just right; this is based on my listening (when in town) and noticing that some frequencies are more garbled than others. This is not just a scanner problem, but also a system problem. Occasionally (not often) you will here a dispatcher or unit ask for a repeat because of the same garbled performance.

Now, you should be using software with your radio. The UASD software (from Uniden) is free (if money is an object) and would serve to help you put things back in order. If you had backed up everything before the upgrade (as recommended) you could just reload the backup and you would be good to go. This firmware update does (unintentionally) change some things in the radio setup and you really need to reload the radio. I would recommend downloading a software product, and building your new stuff from there. If you go with the UASD software, contact me via PM with your email and I would be glad to send you what I have (although you probably would want to just use it as a starting point).

Thanks Lou, I tried to help as much as I could, living in a different state not knowing the system doesn't help, it looks like info that will really help, and maybe now he is heading in the right direction. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.