Need advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerman200

Premium Subscriber
I have a radioshack triple trunking base scanner currently in the car. I need a basic scanner for the house. I only use trunking if I am traveling to a city that uses trunking, other than that I scan conventional frequencies. I need advice, Should I put the base trunking scanner in the apartment as a base & get a handheld for the car? or should I leave the base scanner in the car & use a handheld as a base for the apartment? Just wanting some opinions.

Tweekerbob

If you don't have trunked systems in the vicinity of your apartment, then the clear option is to get a simpler, conventional scanner for your home. Be it hand-held or a mobile/base unit, that's up to you. It's never a bad idea to have a hand-held unit at your disposal. It may depend on the signal strengh of the conventional freqs you like to monitor at home. If they're strong, a hand-held should be no problem. You can always connect an external antenna to most scanners, so should not really be an issue.

Leave the trunktracker in the car. That's where you apprently use it the most (for its trunktracking ability). Look on Ebay. Maybe there's a cheap 10-50 channel conventional scanner, eitrher base or hand-held, that can fit the bill.

CStarr59

Radio Shack Pro-137 is a fantastic conventional analog scanner that has alpha tags in the display. It is a great performing radio and pulls in frequencies very well. There are a few on ebay right now at great prices.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have a radioshack triple trunking base scanner currently in the car. ... Should I put the base trunking scanner in the apartment as a base & get a handheld for the car? or should I leave the base scanner in the car & use a handheld as a base for the apartment?
I run a handheld in my truck because it is smaller. If you've already got a base scanner mounted in your car, great. Just get another identical scanner for the house. It will be much easier to keep track of programming for one scanner than two (just use the same profile for each).

If you want a hand-held and a base model, I'd get matching units that can use the same software, programming cable, and profiles. I'd get a PSR-300 for a hand-held, and a PSR-400 for the base; if buying analog scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.