Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug548

Hi all,
I need your help. I'm sure this has already been covered....Sorry.
Back in the day, I lived in Orange County and there was lots to scan. I had 5 scanners going at any given time. Then they made the change to Digital and chose to encript it all. I ended up with allot of expensive door stoppers. Now I live in Apple Valley and everything is in the clear. Just to test the waters I bought a couple of cheap BCD 15x's. I am going to buy 2 new real scanners 435 and 535 or 996p2 and 325p2. My question is not which scanner does what better, but do you think the same thing will happen here with the encryption and everything going dark. Riverside did it but there is still stuff to hear...Do you think I waited too long, should I buy, should I wait, should I move(just kidding)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Well its hard to say who will do what in the future regarding encryption. It does come at a cost to the system users and they've probably plunked down a lot a few years ago with narrow-banding. So a guy could make a point that if they were going to do it, that would have been their best opportunity.

If you anticipate traveling on trips as in going to different places, I'd steer you to the x36 models. There is a lot more versatility, but higher price. Programming may be a little easier in that you can pretty much mirror your 436 to your 536. Also with these you'll have access to the RR data, via Uniden. So getting to the database wouldn't be an extra expense.

The 325/996 are good if you will be staying local. You'll need to get programming software and probably would want to be a premium subscriber to get access to the RR database for ease of programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.