Need alittle help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb2204

I'm going out this saturday to get my technician class license. I have been buying some equipment to get ready, I just bought an icom ic v8000 2 meter transciever. I also have a kenwood tk-2170. my question is about a GOOD mobile antenna. the handheld is ok for picking up the local repeater from outside (not in the car) I want to mount the icom in the car but here's the catch. my wife has put up with alot from my little hobbies (I just raised a 25 ft discone in the yard) If i have to drill through my fairly new car to mount an antenna she'll kill me. so is there a GOOD mobile 2 meter antenna out there that is a magnetic mount?

KR4BD

Mobile Antennas

Mag-Mount 2 meter antennas (and for other bands as well) are widely available. I am currently using a Brand-X combination 2 meter/70 centimeter quarter-wave mag-mount on my pickup with good results on both bands. If you want to spend "big bucks", I am sure you can. For more gain, look for a 5/8ths wave mag-mount. It will be a longer and more expensive antenna, but will be considerably more sensitive and provide some gain when transmitting. Check what is available at a nearby Hamfest or look at some of the Ham Radio Dealer websites like R&L Electronics, AES and others.

P.S. Come to the Dayton (Ohio) Hamvention on May 14-16 and you will see dozens of dealers selling all sorts of antennas.

Last edited:

k9rzz

+1

A 5/8 wave 2 meter only mag mount and the 75 watts from the Icom will have you grinning ear to ear all day long.

k8tmk

My wife wanted a radio in her van, but also didn't want any holes drilled (at least where they would show).

A friend made a bracket for me that mounted to the inside edge of the tailgate opening with two #8 sheet metal screws (stainless steel so they won't rust). There was enough room for the small coaxial cable to run between the plastic tail-light and the metal surrounding. The result is two small holes that are out of site. The bracket was mounted at a height that allowed the van to drive into the garage without hitting the open garage door.

The tailgate can be opened and closed without interference to the antenna or tailgate. If I ever want to remove the antenna permanently, the two bracket screws can simply be screwed back into the holes in the tailgate opening.

Randy, K8TMK
Annie, W8ALK

K

kb0nly

I would go with a lip mount or an L-Bracket somewhere over a mag mount.

You have a fairly new car you mentioned... Why would you want to ruin the paint with a mag mount? A couple hidden screw holes or a lip mount on the trunk is far better than letting a mag mount sit on the paint and scratch it and eventually cause rust.

N1BHH

I can see who wears the pants in that family. I guess you may want to give up ham radio and take on another hobby where you won't have to get "permission" for anything. :) Magnetic mount antennas will do it. They can mount anywhere, except on plastic cars. And there is nothing wrong with magnetic mounting of antennas.Go to a local ham radio dealer and see what they have for mounts, they may even have a few more ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.