SDS100/SDS200: Need an recommendation for a replacement OEM charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

racing1

I have the sds100 and the charging cord is starting to fail in voltage especially when charging while powered on. I need a good quality or the factory one that came with the scanner.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
There's nothing special about the charger EXCEPT that it's 2 amps. I use 3 amps. Don't buy a cheap one, though.

racing1

There's nothing special about the charger EXCEPT that it's 2 amps. I use 3 amps. Don't buy a cheap one, though.
Got a link to one that's actually 2 amps or 3 amps?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
What he said. I've found Anker products to be good quality.

It doesn't have to be a "smart" charger like that but it will certainly work and you can use it on other things, too.

racing1

What he said. I've found Anker products to be good quality.

It doesn't have to be a "smart" charger like that but it will certainly work and you can use it on other things, too.
I dont need the charger. I just need a new cable. Sorry I didn't specify.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Are you ready for this; There's nothing special about the cable. It's a standard USB mini plug. Since it will be carrying up to 2 amps, get a good quality one. You can Google it and find 'em all over the Internet.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Racing1, if the voltage is falling, it's highly unlikely that it's the USB cable. It takes whatever you put in one end and shoots it out the other. My guess is that it's the charger, not the cable.

racing1

Racing1, if the voltage is falling, it's highly unlikely that it's the USB cable. It takes whatever you put in one end and shoots it out the other. My guess is that it's the charger, not the cable.
Well when I'm transporting the charger and USB cable I always wrap the cable up so it takes up less room in my pocket. That's why I think it's the cable NOT the charger.

RogerH11

I didn't get mine yet, but I ordered a 2nd battery and assume it comes with its own charging cradle or something so I suggest freeing your scanner as plugging it in defeats the purpose of being "mobile" and handheld unit. If I planned on ever plugging it in, I'd gone with the 200.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I didn't get mine yet, but I ordered a 2nd battery and assume it comes with its own charging cradle or something so I suggest freeing your scanner as plugging it in defeats the purpose of being "mobile" and handheld unit. If I planned on ever plugging it in, I'd gone with the 200.
Did it say it came with a separate "charging cradle or something?" You can order batteries and you can order batteries with chargers.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The SDS100 charges differently that other Uniden scanners. You CAN safely charge the battery in the radio. You can even operate the radio and charge the battery at the same time with the original power supply. It requires at least 2A to simultaneously run the radio and charge the battery and your power supply has that. You enable that feature in the settings.

I don't think the separate charger will charge any faster than the radio's internal charger but it gives you the advantage of using the scanner on-the-go while the extra battery is charging.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Good idea to add a USB metering device to your kit. Typical connection is at the power supply so you don't have information of the volts via the cable at the radio. Knowing what your current draw is will give you indications of a bad cable. They are not laboratory grade traceable calibration, but for less than $10 if you shop around are worth it.

Mines a Keweisi KWS-V20, 3-9V, 0-3A, Time 0-99Hours.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Good idea to add a USB metering device to your kit. Typical connection is at the power supply so you don't have information of the volts via the cable at the radio. Knowing what your current draw is will give you indications of a bad cable. They are not laboratory grade traceable calibration, but for less than $10 if you shop around are worth it.

Mines a Keweisi KWS-V20, 3-9V, 0-3A, Time 0-99Hours.
The timer is also re-settable. I have two of them and they do come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.