Need Antenna advice - SDS100 Digital Police Scanner

Chuckhomelab

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for an antenna I can install outside on a pole about 20' off the ground.
I'd like to get an antenna that can pick up all traffic the scanner is capable of listening to.
I live in Oklahoma City. I'd like to be able to listen to airport traffic and local police to start.
Would this be a good antenna to get?
Sirio Antenna Sirio SD 1300 N 25 Mhz- 1.3 Ghz Discone Wide Band Antenna
I appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Discone antennas are wide-band however they have zero gain. They're just ok at almost everything but great at nothing. Depending on your actual needs there are likely better choices.

Chuckhomelab

Premium Subscriber
I just received this scanner, so I am new to the hobby. I am really not sure what all I'd like to listen to.
I think police, emsa, airvac, airport, CB would be interesting to start.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I just received this scanner, so I am new to the hobby. I am really not sure what all I'd like to listen to.

Maybe wait and see after you get the scanner to see if you even need a different antenna. Not everyone does.

Dog

EMSA is mostly encrypted. Not much to listen to. Almost everything you want to listen to is on one of the trunked systems in OKC. The only thing is the airport. The airport itself in on one of the cities trunked system. There are 3 different systems. If you want to listen to air traffic it would probably be better to add a cheaper scanner and a dedicated antenna. I live close to Tinker.

I use a Uniden Bearcat BC125AT Handheld Scanner and a home made antenna. Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole

I would use what you have and see what you want to focus on. With the SDS 100 you can use your zip code and listen to tons of stuff. I am using one of these, SpectrumForce Mini Window Antenna UHF/800 With SMA with a SDS 100 it works for my needs. I also have one of these. 800MHz REMTRONIX REM-820S Portable Antenna

vannossc

Premium Subscriber
I replaced a older discone antenna/RG-8X cable with the DPD Omni X/LMR-400. Essentially same location (25' up, roof mount). Was more than a night/day transformation of my SDS200. Bit of an investment though but well worth it to get the best value out of the scanner cost.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
I replaced a older discone antenna/RG-8X cable with the DPD Omni X/LMR-400. Essentially same location (25' up, roof mount). Was more than a night/day transformation of my SDS200. Bit of an investment though but well worth it to get the best value out of the scanner cost.

Exact setup I have, except mines on a telescopic pole I made out fence poles about 20' up attached to the side if the house. No issues with air or the airport.
Antenna 2.jpg