Need antenna advice. Will this work.

Hughvines

Premium Subscriber
4G LTE 698 - 960MHz Outdoor Directional Yagi Antenna SMA Male for Signal Booster.
Will this be a good antenna for SDs 200. I live in the country about 25 miles from P25 tower. Using dipole now 30 feet high with fair results. Cannot get airport 35 miles away at all. Get police in town 50 miles away which is weird. Hamilton county Tennessee

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
4G LTE 698 - 960MHz Outdoor Directional Yagi Antenna SMA Male for Signal Booster.
I have one similar.

Will this be a good antenna for SDs 200. I live in the country about 25 miles from P25 tower.
For systems operating @ 7/8/900 mhz, yes, and if they are mostly inline with each other. Yagi is directional so if you point it to a site to your North, it wont pick up sites to the East, West and South that great.

Cannot get airport 35 miles away at all.
Airport what? Tower? Air comms are usually 118 thru 120 something and an antenna tuned for 7/8/900mhz generally will not do well over a great distance.

Ubbe

Cannot get airport 35 miles away at all. Get police in town 50 miles away which is weird. Hamilton county Tennessee
Airports can't have antennas high above ground and usually their antennas are designed for local coverage at the airport, so will be more difficult to monitor from a distance compared to a system much further away but have their antennas installed higher up. It's all about height above ground, either the transmitting antenna or the receiving one. Satellites have nothing blocking their signal on its way to ground and they can have a 5 watt transmitter 200 miles up that you can receive without any problem.

/Ubbe

Hughvines

Premium Subscriber
I have one similar.

For systems operating @ 7/8/900 mhz, yes, and if they are mostly inline with each other. Yagi is directional so if you point it to a site to your North, it wont pick up sites to the East, West and South that great.

Airport what? Tower? Air comms are usually 118 thru 120 something and an antenna tuned for 7/8/900mhz generally will not do well over a great distance.
Planes and tower

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
I listen to the Ohio MARCS system and took it one step further. I picked up an antenna rotor, nothing special, and mounted it in my attic. I have an Altelix 800/900MHz Yagi on it with a Nooelec Lana - Ultra Low-Noise Amplifier (LNA) Module for RF & Software Defined Radio (SDR), $35 on Amazon. I use HDSDR to locate and find the best signal for the particular site I want to pull from and then switch over to Unitrunker. Most of the sites I can get are 25 to 40 miles. The MARCS system doesn't always overlap with every site around me so it has opened new talk groups to listen too.