Need Assistance in Programming Pro-164 for Sacramento Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

cljman

Hello!

My son programmed by RadioShack Pro-164 scanner for me a couple of years ago for Sacramento trunking. I had fire channels, sheriff channels, police channels, chp, everything in it! I haven't used it for a while, but want to start getting back into it. I turned it on the other day and was shocked! Now, only the fire dispatch and chp channels work!

If someone could guide me through the process on updating the scanner with the new info for rebanding, that would be great.

Thank you in advance!

- cljman

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-164 & Sacramento

If you are interested in Sacramento County channels, they are on a trunked radio system. Unfortunately, there is no way to enter all the required information into that scanner by hand; software is required. The system was recently rebanded, and the scanner needs to be told that. No way to do it from the scanner.

Once you have software, and a cable to connect your scanner to the computer; there are some options.
1. With a membership here at RR you can "import" from the website to the software, then upload to the scanner.
2. Someone such as myself could send you a file that you could use.
3. A meeting is being planned to help people with just this kind of stuff, and we'd get you goung there.
4. You can learn the scanner, and the software will make sense. Program what you want, and you're set to go.

It does help to at least get started with someone else's file and/or importing from this site. Your long term choices are to rely on others, learn how to make tweaks to the scanner manually, or get/use software. It's way easier to use the software.

I hope to meet/see you at a local meeting.

cljman

If you are interested in Sacramento County channels, they are on a trunked radio system. Unfortunately, there is no way to enter all the required information into that scanner by hand; software is required. The system was recently rebanded, and the scanner needs to be told that. No way to do it from the scanner.

Once you have software, and a cable to connect your scanner to the computer; there are some options.
1. With a membership here at RR you can "import" from the website to the software, then upload to the scanner.
2. Someone such as myself could send you a file that you could use.
3. A meeting is being planned to help people with just this kind of stuff, and we'd get you goung there.
4. You can learn the scanner, and the software will make sense. Program what you want, and you're set to go.

It does help to at least get started with someone else's file and/or importing from this site. Your long term choices are to rely on others, learn how to make tweaks to the scanner manually, or get/use software. It's way easier to use the software.

I hope to meet/see you at a local meeting.
Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been able to get on the computer for a while.

If you could send me the file I'll need to import into the software, that would be great! I really miss scanning!

I have the cable from RadioShack. What software should I use?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-164

I am unable to send you anything because your setting here does not allow the sending of either emails nor private messages. So send me your email and I'll send you a file. The file is p97 so you need to use WIN97.

cljman

Sorry again for the late reply, I don't get on here much.

I uploaded the file you sent to me successfully, except for my scanner is not picking up anything.

I press SCAN, but the little "T" that used to pop up on the screen when trunk scanning no longer pops up, and when I press MAN and go on a channel with traffic, it receives it, but just barely. I have to hold the scanner up really high, and even then, the traffic comes in very faintly, even on high volume. It's as if the signal is from far away and it can't pick it up. I'm thinking there's something wrong with my scanner. Even the control channel barely comes in, and when it does, it doesn't recognize it as a control channel, meaning it doesn't show the percentage like it used to. Please help me! I miss my scanning hobby!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It sounds to me like weak reception. Make sure the ATT (attenuator) is not on.

A more likely issue is a wire from the antenna connector to the circuit board inside the scanner is no longer making connection. It happens a lot especially for people that change antennas all the time or use the rubber antenna like a handle to carry the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.