Need better reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbjr

Just moved less than 100 yards and now im having issues picking up anything. Im running the stock antenna on pro 197. Im on the bottom floor apartment. Would another antenna help? My outside ability is slim as far putting them up but I could try if if itsnt huge. I have no way to get one in a tree. It would have to be on my porch rail.

W5lz

Oh is that an impossible question to answer -definitively-. Is there an elevator? Can you get a top floor apartment? Have you got gobs of money you can throw at an antenna system? H%^^, buy the apartment house! Use an antenna that has some gain, get it as high as possible (no booze or dope). That's about as simple as it gets. Now, your only problem is doing that 'simple' stuff...

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Something I always did before I owned a house and lived in apartments was... To buy a VHF High, UHF, 700-800 ground plane that has 15 inch elements. I would mount it on a broom handle and then use 25 ft of low loss coax. This enables you to move around with the antenna, turning it and tilting it. You could even put it on your outside porch running the coax into the house.

If you find that sweet spot that performs the way you want you can permanently leave it there by leaning it on something or even taping it to something like a floor lamp or hat rack.

This might sound silly to you but it works as you said it, its location and positioning. What works here may not work there Etc.

I've done it many times in different applications and it always works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.