need call signs for police,fire,ems scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

maumee12

i would like to know where i can get call codes such what 10-50 means. this would be a great help. thank you,maumee12. p.s. my e-mail address is ndman1@msn.com

DiGiTaLD

10-Codes and Signals

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=codes&code_id=572

Check the above link. These are the ten-codes and signals used by ISP. You'll find that they're generally the same across the entire state. I can think of a few exceptions (and it's not on the list anyway), like in Knox County, where 10-80 means "pursuit" instead of "burglar alarm" like it does most everywhere else I have listened.

You'll find that there is a FEMA-inspired trend of public safety agencies getting away from using all codes and signals, and going to plain-language speak, supposedly so they can all talk to each other in the case they ever need to. This begs the question, if they need to, can they and/or will they?

Personally I think plain language speak on the radio sounds stupid in most situations where a ten code or a signal would be a faster means of getting your message across. Instead of banishing all codes and signals, there should be a recognized, standardized set that everyone should adopt. Whatever. I have a hard time believing that public safety will ever all get on the same page where communications are concerned.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Duplicate questions deleted.

Please don't post the same query multiple times.

kadetklapp

Those of us that do this every day do not miss 10-codes

Then you are probably not in law enforcement, at least not full time. It's an officer safety issue not to mention how unprofessional it sounds.

kb9sxk

Then you are probably not in law enforcement, at least not full time. It's an officer safety issue not to mention how unprofessional it sounds.

Sorry,

there are places in Indiana south of 465.

Unprofessional?

If being understood amd using plan english is not professional, then I am a rodeo clown.

We have not used 10 codes or signals for 15 years.

I say that codes and signals are the real safety issue.

jerk

Yeah, like sig 37... sig 38 does any good.

Florida went to Plain language many years ago. But they did keep there one or two ten codes for officers in an emergency situation.

It's very clear, you're in trouble or need assistance you say 10-xx Otherwise everything is plain language. Still a few hold outs though.
California uses officer needs assistance (there could be trouble) or Officer needs help (I have trouble send help quickly). Get's the point across quick.
In Indiana the dispatch says the above Signal 37, signal 38, and is clueless if you don't answer or accepts any answer. Good luck, you may or may not get assistance. It's a stupid way to operate.

And the the agencies that border on States like Indiana and Kentucky who still, stupidly, use ten codes have problems all the time. One thing means this in Indiana the other is more serious in Kentucky. Not to mention the (local) agencies that come up with their own variations from Statewide standard usage.

If you think ten codes makes one a professional... boy I don't what to say to that, but the smart people and agencies have found a better way. It is Plain speech and prowords.

kadetklapp

I'm sure the EMA clowns, Cloud Cops, and Hammies sound professional, right. I've heard DOHS many times sound like a bunch of truckers. If you aren't in law enforcement, then go jump, because it's a line of work you know NOTHING about. How about the methheads, parolees, dealers, etc who have welfare $$$ to burn and purchase those wonderful digital scanners that were supposed to be so hard to get? I've pulled two out of two seperate meth operations in the last year. They do listen. Yes the codes and signals are available and easily deciphered, but not all have figured them out.

You both have the classic FEMA mentality.

Sorry,

there are places in Indiana south of 465.

Not sure I understand. I spend quite a lot of time in Knox County and worked there for a few years, so been there, done that.

Last edited:

DiGiTaLD

Those of us that do this every day do not miss 10-codes.
I do it every day, and while I could live without them, I'd much rather have them, and much rather not be told that I'm not allowed to use them, especially because of a suggestion from a totally incompetent federal agency such as FEMA.

kb9sxk

I'm sure the EMA clowns, Cloud Cops, and Hammies sound professional, right. I've heard DOHS many times sound like a bunch of truckers. If you aren't in law enforcement, then go jump, because it's a line of work you know NOTHING about. How about the methheads, parolees, dealers, etc who have welfare $$$ to burn and purchase those wonderful digital scanners that were supposed to be so hard to get? I've pulled two out of two seperate meth operations in the last year. They do listen. Yes the codes and signals are available and easily deciphered, but not all have figured them out.

You both have the classic FEMA mentality.

Not sure I understand. I spend quite a lot of time in Knox County and worked there for a few years, so been there, done that.

I am now and for the last 11 years a full time paid EMA clown, and a general class hammie for the last 10 years also. I have a BA in Law Enforcement Administration from Western Ill University, teach for Vincennes University, LSU, and FEMA's ODP. I am an authorized instructor for IDHS.

I have been an EMT for the last 23 years, 6 of them as a Paramedic in chicago. I spent 7 years as reserve deputy and an auxiluary police officer. I was a police and fire dispatcher for 5 years also.

I have game. I know professionalism.... And it is not found by using codes that are easier to get cheat sheets for than it is to buy an expensive scanner.

Codes do not keep secrets, encryption does.

Codes do not increase professionalism.....professional actions do. Codes do not save officer lives...Plain english does.

Last edited:

kadetklapp

Your flashy Federal seal gave you away, I would like to know, however, what classes you teach and why since I graduated from Vincennes University, I'm not familiar with you?

Your FEMA mentality of "We know what is best because we control the money" does not work with me, nor many other full time law enforcement officers.

kb9sxk

Your flashy Federal seal gave you away, I would like to know, however, what classes you teach and why since I graduated from Vincennes University, I'm not familiar with you?

Your FEMA mentality of "We know what is best because we control the money" does not work with me, nor many other full time law enforcement officers.

That is not my "mentality". it is my opinion based on 24+ years of public safety experiance.

If you look closely at my "Flashy Federal Seal" you Will see that it is joke, and a bit of a slam on FEMA. (Nice attention to detail, Kadet :) )

My name is Adam Groupe, I teach EMAP courses at VU. I teach "Law Enforcement Response to Terror Incidents" for LSU, and ICS series including 449 for ODP.

I will send my resume if you think it will help. ;)

What Have I said to piss you off so much?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.