Need Coax Prep Tool Recommendations for Times Microwave LMR-200 thru LMR-600

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
At my QTH, I am in need of replacing some aging coax runs and installing some new coax runs to some new antennas. I have plans to use Times Microwave cable throughout using:
  • LMR-200: Street Price of $0.61 (MSRP $0.72) per foot
  • LMR-400: Street Price of $0.99 (MSRP $1.31) per foot
  • LMR-600: Street Price of $1.89 (MSRP $2.27) per foot
  • LMR-900: Street Price of $5.94 (MSRP $9.11) per foot
depending on the length of the run and application (transmit power and/or frequency). I do not think I will need LMR-900 for the longest run at the highest frequency even though 1.7 dB per 100 feet at 900 MHz is mighty tempting. :ROFLMAO:

I am going to have a mix of UHF and N connectors depending on the frequency and plan to install them myself. Times Microwave sells a Coax Cable Preparation Tool Kit for each of their cables individually as follows.
  • Times Microwave TK-195/200EZ: Street Price of $389 (MSRP $459)
  • Times Microwave TK-400EZ: Street Price of $310 (MSRP $399)
  • Times Microwave TK-600EZ: Street Price of $333 (MSRP $420)
Unfortunately, even at that discounted price, it is just not a justifiable purchase for what may be the last time my cable will get replaced at this QTH. At 65 years old with a disabling illness, it may also be the last time I ever need to replace connectors.

Question: Does anybody know of a less expensive Coax Prep Toolkit to install UHF and N connectors on Times Microwave cable?

At about $1,100 with Maryland sales tax for the three Times Microwave Coax Prep Toolkits, I might be better off hiring a radio shop technician that works independently on weekends when not on-call to install all of the connectors once the cable runs are finished.

Right now I am looking at about five (5) coax runs. At least one (1) possibly two (2) runs will have N connectors and the rest UHF connectors. Each run will have multiple connectors for lightning arrestors, feed-thru and the disconnect/patch panels and two runs will have 4-position coaxial switches running to four (4) different radio positions. I have not yet made an accurate connector count.

By the way, due to the complexity and composition of parts for each cable run, ordering cut-to-length LMR cables with installed connectors is not going to be feasible. So for now, I'll see what answer(s) I get to my question and I'll go back to my drawing board...

NOTE: Pricing is either from The Antenna Farm or Solid Signal

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I know it's probably out of your price range, but I use this kit at work and it's never failed me.
It'll do LMR-400 and LMR-600 EZ connectors:
I've probably done 200 connectors with it and it's easy and reliable.

But, yeah, expensive.

Since the tools are so expensive, it might make sense to just pick a single cable type and focus on that. The cost of the individual tools might be more than if you just stuck with LMR-600 for everything.
The cable prep tools are nice and do a good job.
You can get less expensive crimp tools and save some money there. With the EZ connectors, you just need the one size hex crimp per each type of LMR cable. You'll also need the center conductor prep tool, but all it does is bevel the end, and you can probably find cheaper tools that will do that.

Or, keep your eyes on e-Bay. It seems like wireless installer is a high turn over job, either that, or they get a LOT of their tools stolen. I've seen whole kits on e-Bay for pretty cheap.

K4EET

Chaplain
Thanks @mmckenna! You make two very good points.
  1. Consider using one size cable throughout, LMR600, to save on tool cost.
  2. Watch eBay for Cable Prep Tools.
Very much appreciated! Tell you what, take the rest of the week off! ;) Dave

prcguy

I bought actual Times brand prep tools doe LMR195 through LMR400 slightly used on Ebay for a good price. A generic crimper with dies for LMR195 through LMR400 is less than $50. If your going to use Times EZ connectors you really want to use the actual Times tool.

Hit_Factor

• Times Microwave TK-195/200EZ: Street Price of $389 (MSRP $459)
  • Times Microwave TK-400EZ: Street Price of $310 (MSRP $399)
  • Times Microwave TK-600EZ: Street Price of $333 (MSRP $420)
Unfortunately, even at that discounted price, it is just not a justifiable purchase for what may be the last time my cable will get replaced at this QTH. At 65 years old with a disabling illness, it may also be the last time I ever need to replace connectors.
Buy the tools, use them, put on eBay or classifieds to sell. You don't have to wait for them to get listed by someone, list them yourself.

cg

Premium Subscriber
- You could load the coax into your car, make an appointment at a shop and have one end installed (not paying travel time). Once you are done stringing the cables yourself, have them visit and finish the other ends. might be a few hours labor but cheaper than buying all the kits.
- Put the word out in a local ham club that you are looking for such items to use. Maybe a local person would have them available

K4EET

Chaplain
- You could load the coax into your car, make an appointment at a shop and have one end installed (not paying travel time). Once you are done stringing the cables yourself, have them visit and finish the other ends. might be a few hours labor but cheaper than buying all the kits.
- Put the word out in a local ham club that you are looking for such items to use. Maybe a local person would have them available
More good tips. Thanks!

WA8ZTZ

Cable prep tools are nice especially if you have lots of connections to make.
If you do decide to DIY with a prep tool(s), practice first on a scrap piece of
cable to get the feel of it and any adjustments of the blades that may be necessary.
The only real downside is the price tag.
IMHO, for a one time hobby installation, if you have a steady hand and feel capable, do it the
old fashioned way with a good quality hawkbill electrician's knife.
It's a trade off, your choice, time vs $.

k9wkj

though not for everyone
I use a fresh utility knife blade
and use it slowly and carefully with several test fits
and my crimper is just a generic unit that does 3 sizes of coax
and I have a set of crimp jaws for the TV size coax
for the LMR-600 I bought a ebay crimper for under $30
and I have a compression connector install tool for F and BNC that was $17
total investment is about $90 and I can crimp most anything I run across

wcsd45

Plus one on the gripper tool from DXE. All crimping here, but the gripper just makes the whole coax prep easier for me, holding coax for braid teasing away from dielectric especially. I do not like the DXE prep tool that looks similar to gripper with embedded blades, rather prefer the 1st cut-2nd cut replaceable bladed machined aluminum twist-on tool.

73 and good luck, Chuck KC9QBY.

merlin

Don't pass up county auctions when they have antenna related lots.
I came up with numerous boxes of 'N' heliax connectors, both 1/2 inch and 7/8, cable tools for the same.
Several hundred feet of off spool heliax each of the mentioned. other items like antenna clamps, tower guy rigging etc.
3 pallets worth just under $400. (had some competition)
73s

WA8ZTZ

Rather than buying a cable prep tool(s), the OP may want to consider investing in a crimp tool.
The DXE crimp on PL-259s, for example, are really nice to use. You solder the center conductor and
crimp the shield rather than trying to solder the braid without melting the foam dielectric and thus ruining the job.

SuperG900

WG5ENE
Rather than buying a cable prep tool(s), the OP may want to consider investing in a crimp tool.
The DXE crimp on PL-259s, for example, are really nice to use. You solder the center conductor and
crimp the shield rather than trying to solder the braid without melting the foam dielectric and thus ruining the job.

Those are the connector's I've got. Crimp on the shield, solder the center. Easy - Peasy!

You can get a crimp tools on Ebay for ~$30 - no need to spend a fortune for a tool if you're only going to use it occasionally.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I have the DXE red prep tool and like it, it's works very well. I also have the DIE-8X crimp tool, I have DXE 400MAX coax (because I can pick up same day). I will likely be picking up the DXE orange tool when I update my VHF base station as I will switch to N connectors.

If you feel confident enough, just buy the tools and do it yourself.

prcguy

If you plan on using the TImes EZ style connectors I believe the only prep tool available is one made by Times. The EZ connectors provide the lowest VSWR attachment and no soldering, you can put a connector on in less than 1 minute and it will sweep perfect past 6GHZ. Very few people can install a non EZ connector with performance like that. BTW the EZ connectors only work with solid center conductor LMR400 and not the super flex type.

ind224

FWIW I have used JavaTech 400 and been satisfied for all my scanner needs including 800Mhz not sure what they offer for connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.