Need confirmation I got the right connectors etc for use with BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disk4mat

I would look for an extension cable - PL259 Male to Female, then a PL259 to BNC adaptor.

The fewer connection points - the better.

They're common. I bought them.

Disk4mat

Update: All the connections are correct (whew)

Antenna [male pl259] --- [so239 female] Mag Mount [cable pl259 male] --- [so239 female to BNC male adapter] --- Scanner

Disk4mat

I had planned on doing a review but never found the spare time. Ive bought many mag mount antennas to use indoors and so far the Harvest is my favorite. I spent $52 for it on Amazon and have purchased other antennas in the 20 to 50 dollar range.

It does well as a broad band antenna. I mostly listen to conventional VHF. But I listen to everything including DMR. Simulcast can be a pain in the ass. While many people have told me its more scanner related than antenna, Ive found simply rotating the antenna helps a great deal with problematic simulcast sites.

There is no gain with this antenna. Many of the tri-band antennas advertise some amount of gain. The overall quality of the Harvest makes up for the small 2 or 3 dbi I would get with a tri-band.

I have the Harvest mounted and sitting on top of a 7 foot tall plastic shelving unit. So the top of the whip is just an inch below my ceiling.

I would recommend this antenna against any similarly priced one. Especially over a mag mount. I will also mention that I replaced the RG 58 cable with a LMR 240. I had it custom made for $35. That made a noticeable difference! I saw my RSSI improved across the board and I can now receive Air to Air transmissions that I was never able to get before. The noise reduction alone from the shielding was a huge bonus.

The cable really is just as important as the antenna. So my opinion would be...

$50 Tri-Band with stock cable with small gain = Average to Good (3 to 4 stars)
Harvest antenna with rg 58 = Good (solid 4 stars)
Harvest + LMR cable = Good to excellent (4 to 5 stars)

This is my opinion based on my usage scenario, radio, location etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.