• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need dual band portable and mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLFD127

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,
Im in the market for a dual band portable and a dual band mobile. Need to be vhf/uhf radios. One fire dept in one county operates solely on vhf frequencies, and the other in another county runs on both vhf and uhf. Need to be rugged, user friendly, easily programmed, hold quite a few channels, and if at all possible, on the cheaper side of things. What do you guys suggest?
Thanks

teufler

kenwood d710, for a mobile. Forgetting the regulations of transmit wide banding, the radio receives and can transmit. Yaesu vx8 fort a portable. Again radio can be opened. If your needs are for just minitoring while no transmit, a good scanner will fill the bill, and be far cheaper. Both the radios are in the $500 dollar range. ICOM, Yaesu, Kenwood, Alinco make good radios but the two noted are very tough. The Kenwood has the big screen, nice when you are mobile or operating at night in the car. The Vx-8 is water "proof" though I would say water resistant. Important if operating in all kinds of weather comditions. I have operated a Yaseu vx-7 and Kenwood d700 for 15 years and and had no problems. Neither has even been in to a repair shop. The Yaseu has only had batteries replaced..On the other side, the Baefong radios are commercial service certified and they cover the ham bands. There are models that cost $250-$280, dual band, but I'm not sure how durable in field use. They havn't been around in the US very long. I have a UV-3 that is almost 3 years old, and it has held up as good as my Yaesu VW-3 and Vx-7 units.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
kenwood d710, for a mobile. Forgetting the regulations of transmit wide banding, the radio receives and can transmit. Yaesu vx8 fort a portable. Again radio can be opened. If your needs are for just minitoring while no transmit, a good scanner will fill the bill, and be far cheaper. Both the radios are in the $500 dollar range. ICOM, Yaesu, Kenwood, Alinco make good radios but the two noted are very tough. The Kenwood has the big screen, nice when you are mobile or operating at night in the car. The Vx-8 is water "proof" though I would say water resistant. Important if operating in all kinds of weather comditions. I have operated a Yaseu vx-7 and Kenwood d700 for 15 years and and had no problems. Neither has even been in to a repair shop. The Yaseu has only had batteries replaced..On the other side, the Baefong radios are commercial service certified and they cover the ham bands. There are models that cost $250-$280, dual band, but I'm not sure how durable in field use. They havn't been around in the US very long. I have a UV-3 that is almost 3 years old, and it has held up as good as my Yaesu VW-3 and Vx-7 units.

Come on dude. He guy is using it for LMR. Ham gear is NOT appropriate.

Alinco now makes a dualband part 90 mobile. Portable is going to be a problem on your budget though. There are not much out there for LMR dual band portables. APX but that is way over 1k$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rapidcharger

The radios mentioned in reply #4 are ham radios and not part 90 certified however there are a couple ham-ish radios that are part 90 certified. One is mentioned above in #6. The other is the Powerwerx db-750.
These are Chinese radios. They cost around $350 a piece. Those are mobiles.

There are a few dual band chinese portables that have part 90 certification. They are very inexpensive (<$100)

If you're not comfortable using inexpensive chinese radios for your use(valid concerns) you might look into a crossband solution. There is a way to crossband repeat using familiar LMR hardware. That will take a little bit of work though with frequency coordination, licensing and setup.

Then there is always using two separate radios. It might seem inconvenient to do that but would you believe that you can obtain two rugged public safety grade radios within your budget (for both) that actually weigh less combined than the Motorola dual band portables.

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Vertex VX-5000/6000 series can be "dual-banded" with the proper gear. Don't know what they cost on the used market though. The Kenwood TK-790 and TK-890 can also be setup in the dual radio single head configuration. Kenwood has made quite a few narrow band capable radios that can do that. Moto also has some options.

Moto and Harris are just about the only dual band public safety handheld manufacturers...they aren't cheap. Your best option would probably be a single band VHF ht and some kind of narrow band GM300s, SM120s or similar in a cross band configuration.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The Kenwood x90 series might be the better option for the mobile side, as you can dual-head these radios, to have the radio at the pump panel.

Sent via Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

The Kenwood x90 series might be the better option for the mobile side, as you can dual-head these radios, to have the radio at the pump panel.

Sent via Tapatalk
5000/6000 series from vertex. I believe Moto even made kits for the radios that can use the systems 9000 heads.

Project25_MASTR

Are they dual-band and dual-head?

Sent via Tapatalk

I've never seen the Kenwoods configured for dual-band, dual-head. Last I checked it only says how to set them up for dual head, single radio or single head, dual radio.

The Vertex stuff has the same equivalent accessories to mimic this setup.

In traditional commercial setup it is two remote mount radios tied into a single head. In Kenwood's case they use a remote cable running from each radio to the head. In Vertex's case its a remote cable running from one radio to the next, and then a single cable running to the head.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I've never seen the Kenwoods configured for dual-band, dual-head. Last I checked it only says how to set them up for dual head, single radio or single head, dual radio.

Look on ebay. There are lots of TK-x90 series for sale there that are dual band configured.

Project25_MASTR

I was doing a little research last night, the vx-6000 and tk-x90 are the same radio with slightly different connectors and firmware.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I knew someone was going to say that.

Are you suggesting a fire department buys their radios used and on

eBaY?

Because you wrote"

Seriously, the dude said he had a budget of less than $1K... Where else is he going to get a solid part 90 rig capable of dual band operation. Wouxon/anytone/otherchinesecrap is not going to be any worse than a x90 dualband setup bought off ebay IF you shop the seller not the item.

About the only thing I refuse to buy off ebay are batteries, and antennas. I have been burned once on ebay, but have had decent luck when I shop the seller not the item. And yes I will pass on the $50 HT1000 from a lousy feedback sellar and buy the $125 one from a good seller with 99.9% feedback any day.

Yea buy it off ebay, and have it gone through with a fine toothed comb by a good Kenwood shop.

Let me guess, you would have him by some garbage, barely part 90 Wouxon mobile?

Project25_MASTR

My TK-690, surplus from TxDOT. My VX-5500s and 6500, surplus from TxDOT. They all work fine. The low band radio has even been converted to operate above 50 MHz...they work fine. I'm actually probably going to swap my Anytone mobile in my jeep for a VX-5500 remote mount with a M1225.

rapidcharger

Let me guess, you would have him by some garbage, barely part 90 Wouxon mobile?

No, actually I wouldn't.
I would suggest that they buy new radios with a warranty from a reputable dealer. Those Kenwoods are very big radios. I can mount two smaller PS grade monobanders with separate control heads in even less space and as long as money wasn't a problem, that's what I would recommend. Now if money was that big of a problem, I'd seek out one of the surplus radio dealers that can supply all the radios that are needed, bench tested and possibly with some warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.