Need expert opinion

rane

Hello, many years ago I bought a radio shack digital trunking hand held scanner that came preprogrammed. It has worked for me perfectly, however I have now moved and my son who lived with me, really likes the scanner so I want to get a new one. I live in Kansas, Reno county and although the police channels are encrypted I have been able to listen to fire, ambulance, and sheriff. I would like to buy a preprogramed scanner but I don't know which one to buy and who to ask to program it. Can anyone help me with this?

tvengr

Well Known Member
What model scanner? The KSICS statewide system is P25 Phase 2 capable but all of the talkgroups are presently Phase 1 which your current scanner may be able to receive. The system may change to Phase 2 in the future. If it does, you will need a different scanner. If your scanner is a PRO-96, PRO-106, or PRO-651, you are in luck. Is your son also in Reno County?

rane

My son is in Reno County and the scanner is a radio shack and is a pro-106. I have no problem buying a scanner, but I don't know how to program it. I know when I bought the scanner several years ago, it came already programmed and I have never had any problems with it. Now that I live in a different house, I am hoping to get another. I am not picky on what kind (base or handheld) but I really miss the chatter.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you buy a Whistler WS1040 handheld or WS1065 base/mobile, it is basically the same scanner. You can clone the programming from the PRO-106 to the WS1040 or WS1065. All you need is a short jumper cable with 1/8" stereo plugs on both ends to plug into the PCIF jacks on the scanners. It is a very simple process.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You can also get a used GRE PSR-500 handheld, PSR-600 base/mobile, or Radio Shack PRO-106 handheld, PRO-197 base/mobile, PRO-651 handheld, PRO-652 base/mobile. They all can be cloned from one to the other. Make sure you see my previous post.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
I would like to buy a preprogramed scanner but I don't know which one to buy and who to ask to program it. Can anyone help me with this?
I'd advise taking the time to learn to program the scanner yourself. This way if there's a programming change, a button accidentally pressed or something accidentally locked out you'll know how to mitigate the issue without having to rely on someone else. Plenty of resources at your disposal right here on the forums, welcome to them!

rane

Thank you all for your helpful advice. I will hopefully in the future, learn some programming for the scanner, but my Dad just passed away last Friday and I have a lot going on. Still, I miss the scanner chatter so I want to get one up and running as soon as possible. My son is an avid listener as well, so I offered to give him the scanner as it is fairly old and he has it piped through the whole house so no matter what room you are in, you can hear it. I figured it would be easier for me to just buy one. I have heard the the whistler is a good scanner so I will look into it.
Thanks again.

rane

Yes, I have and am currently listening. Perhaps I am doing something wrong, as I only hear one dispatcher and one possibly sheriff officer. Our police channel is encrypted so I know I can't listen to them. Still, it is better than nothing while I am waiting to see if I win the Whistler WS1040 handheld I am bidding on.

Reactions: wtp

tvengr

Well Known Member
I am waiting to see if I win the Whistler WS1040 handheld I am bidding on.
If you get the WS1040, here is the procedure for cloning the scanners:
1. Plug the jumper cable with 1/8" stereo male plugs into the PCIF jacks on both scanners.
2. Turn on both scanners.
3. On the PRO-106, press PGM and then GLOB (F3).
4. Scroll down to where the flashing cursor is on the Clone Send line.
5. Press SEL. The cloning will begin.
6. When cloning is finished, turn off both scanners and remove the cable.

You always do the Clone Send on the scanner which has the programming you want in both scanners. If the scanner you are giving to your son ever loses its programming, you would do the Clone Send on your new scanner to load the programming into your son's PRO-106.

If you want to learn how to program, it is far faster and easier to use programming software rather than programming the scanner manually using the menus. There is also less chance of making a programming error since all of the settings are visible at a glance instead of being buried in layers of scanner menus. For entering alpha tags using the scanner menus, you need to enter a 2-digit code for each character. Using software, you can enter the alpha tags directly from the computer keyboard. The PRO-106 and WS1040 both use the same programming software. You can use ARC500 or PSREdit500. Both are excellent programs and have a free trial period to decide which one you like better. I use Butel ARC500 Basic for my PRO-106 and PRO-197. The Pro version provides additional logging functions. You will need a cable to connect your computer to your scanner. Hopefully, the WS1040 includes the programming cable. With the software, you will be able to download the programming from your scanner and save the file so that you have the ability to reprogram any similar scanner. The 2 software programs above support the PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, PRO-197, PRO-651, PRO-652, WS1040, and WS1065 scanners.

Last edited:

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Thank you so much. I am going to print this out and give a copy of it to my son as well. You guys are the greatest!
There is few people in and around Reno co that are on here, I'm Rice co, I don't much about programming these scanners, if go the 436/536 or SDS 100/200 I could help with that,

tvengr

Well Known Member
There is few people in and around Reno co that are on here, I'm Rice co, I don't much about programming these scanners, if go the 436/536 or SDS 100/200 I could help with that,
With programming software, you can attach your file so we can take a look at it to check for any errors or see if it needs updates.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Assuming money is no object i would buy an SDS100/200 from a seller that will program it for you.

Redneck0410

Feed Provider
I am the one who provides the feed for Reno County. If you need help, send me a DM and I can get your scanner programmed for you. I also live in Hutchinson.
Thank you all for your helpful advice. I will hopefully in the future, learn some programming for the scanner, but my Dad just passed away last Friday and I have a lot going on. Still, I miss the scanner chatter so I want to get one up and running as soon as possible. My son is an avid listener as well, so I offered to give him the scanner as it is fairly old and he has it piped through the whole house so no matter what room you are in, you can hear it. I figured it would be easier for me to just buy one. I have heard the the whistler is a good scanner so I will look into it.
Thanks again.