Need Freqs for Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Basically, your local police, especially 'event' type channels, and interagency coordination channels.

All Presidential guard channels of the Secret Service are 100% encrypted. Yeah, alright, every once in a while one unit might not be. Don't count on it.

davidbond21

All Presidential guard channels of the Secret Service are 100% encrypted. Yeah, alright, every once in a while one unit might not be. Don't count on it.

I've noticed during the couple Presidential visits that we've had, either before or after the visit you may hear SS doing radio checks in the clear, on multiple channels even. But yeah, once the POTUS is there on the ground, everything is encrypted.

ecps92

"Wheels-Down" :wink:

I've noticed during the couple Presidential visits that we've had, either before or after the visit you may hear SS doing radio checks in the clear, on multiple channels even. But yeah, once the POTUS is there on the ground, everything is encrypted.

Forgive what might be a stupid question - but...

Why would they even bother to switch from encrypted to non, ever?? Its not like they're saving electrons but doing it.
I always kinda wondered: If you go encrypted - why turn it off???

Given enough computer power and over-the-air sampling encryption can be broken, so if you limit its use you are making it more difficult for someone to break it.

SOFA_KING

Be glad they do, otherwise there is nothing to hear!

The real reason is because not everyone has the latest key(s). Sometimes there is one guy, or even several, that need the latest key(s), so having a fallback is a good thing.

As far as decrypting it with a super computer, all you need is a stored sample to analyze over and over and it can be broken. You do not need to do it "live". I have no interest in doing it, nor have I ever tried, but I have heard stories.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
Say's he will be flying in and out of Quincy by helicopter visiting other towns near by. Any chance hearing this helicopter? where to look for it?

SCPD

QRT
Careful, there is a Mod out there that will shut this thread down because it is political. I think he is an Obama hater personally.

Hooligan

Given enough computer power and over-the-air sampling encryption can be broken, so if you limit its use you are making it more difficult for someone to break it.

That's just silly! The IEEE should be embarrassed...

The clear-voice radio-checks, etc. is usually the WHCA advance-team.

Especially for just a quick hour or two visit somewhere, you can expect to hear related activity (P-25, probably secure) on a core of 3 WHCA/USSS/WHMO channels. Gone are the days where just about every staffer had a radio (usually on November channel), and Y/Z was providing a secure, duplex circuit, etc. If it's a big semi-public event with lots of SS Uniformed Division officers there, that's yet another channel, but it's now a core of 3 channels for anything POTUS does outside of the WH.

Hooligan

Say's he will be flying in and out of Quincy by helicopter visiting other towns near by. Any chance hearing this helicopter? where to look for it?

I'm sure if you've got some of the freqs commonly referred to as USSS channels programmed in, you'll "hear" Marine 1 (it uses a different ID on some circuits), but the question is whether or not you know you heard them -- will they be clear, or secure voice. Probably secure, but don't pay much attention to the people that go around saying things like "USSS is 100% secure during all POTUS details."

You should certainly be able to hear "Marine 1" & "NIGHTHAWK #" helos on the area ATC channels. There are also a couple UHF military aircraft band channels they monitor & might use for inter-plane coordination, though they seem to prefer SINCGARS (30-88MHz frequency-hopping) these days & that's what their Advance people on the ground at the various LZs should be using to talk the helos in.

Pay attention to any USCG Marine & LE channels in your area, as these days it seems like USSS tasks their fellow DHS agency the USCG to do aerial surveillance missions for POTUS visits -- sweeping the airfield area prior to AF1 landing, supporting the motorcade, etc.

Hooligan

For today's AF1 landing at Detroit Metro & Marine 1 flights between DTW & Ann Arbor, it was the three usual USSS/WHCA/WHMO channels in use (P-25 secure) & the HMX-1 helos involved were using a UHF aircraft band channel (one of their standard ones) for interplane coordination.

Hooligan

President Obama is coming to Quincy, IL next Tuesday. What freqs should I monitor or what bands should i search? Need help!

Steve, you asked for help almost a month ago, and several people took the time to try to help you out.

Yet you never bothered to give use feedback as to what --if anything-- you did hear during the Obammy visit. Not too cool Steve!

Letting us know what you heard would end up being of some help to other people wondering what all there is to hear during a POTUS visit, as well as showing a modicum of appreciation for those who helped you.

Status
Not open for further replies.