Need Guidance for a new scanner Owen County

NS_1971

I’m stuck in the past with an old analog scanner. BC350C to be exact. I am wanting to upgrade to digital but don’t want to waste money at the same time. I have no idea what system my local sheriffs office and police use. So where do I find out if the new system is encrypted or not. What frequency the new system is on etc. just need guidance if that makes sense. Thanks

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have no idea what system my local sheriffs office and police use. So where do I find out if the new system is encrypted or not. What frequency the new system is on etc.

To be honest @NS_1971 no one on here is able to answer your question, not that we don't know where to find the info (in the RR database) but because you didn't tell us where you are located or what agency/systems you want to listen to.

To help us please read the first post in this thread;

NS_1971

I live in Spencer Indiana. I got into listening to the scanner by being on the local fire dept. the Sheriff and Police is what I’m trying to figure out and will base the new scanner purchase around.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber

Looks like most of what you want to listen to might be on digital but not encrypted. According to the Owen County site it says all Owen Co uses Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T system. There are some Simulcast that might be in the area which means a Uniden SDS type scanner. You might be able to get away with a 325P2 or a 436HP. The SDS's are quite pricey but you can generally find them on eBay for less than $600.

NS_1971

Looks like most of what you want to listen to might be on digital but not encrypted. According to the Owen County site it says all Owen Co uses Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T system. There are some Simulcast that might be in the area which means a Uniden SDS type scanner. You might be able to get away with a 325P2 or a 436HP. The SDS's are quite pricey but you can generally find them on eBay for less than $600.
What about the Whistler TRX-2?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

The database still lists Spencer County Sheriff and Fire as analog, however they may have switched to the Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T system. There are two sites on that system in Spencer County and neither appear to be simulcast. Also, there is no indication that anything (at this time) is encrypted.

So the TRX scanner should work for you, based on what I'm seeing in the database.

Also, Spencer County schools appear to be using NXDN, a feature that is included with the TRX scanners, and a paid upgrade for Uniden scanners.

NS_1971

The database still lists Spencer County Sheriff and Fire as analog, however they may have switched to the Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T system. There are two sites on that system in Spencer County and neither appear to be simulcast. Also, there is no indication that anything (at this time) is encrypted.

So the TRX scanner should work for you, based on what I'm seeing in the database.

Also, Spencer County schools appear to be using NXDN, a feature that is included with the TRX scanners, and a paid upgrade for Uniden scanners.

Owen County, Spencer Indiana. Also how do you see if it is encrypted or not? If the Owen County Sheriff and Spencer Police are encrypted I still would not be able to listen.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
For less than the cost of a TRX-2, you could get a BCD536HP. The 536HP is a better scanner, and handles interference from other transmitters (such as an FM radio station, or TV transmitter) than the TRX series. Also, Whistler scanners are prone to have problems from nearby cellphone towers.

JethrowJohnson

The database still lists Spencer County Sheriff and Fire as analog
When I looked, I saw that the SO had an NXDN channel, but I think that's probably just a backup to the SAFE-T network.
Also, there is no indication that anything (at this time) is encrypted.
It looked like the SO's NXDN channel was fully encrypted, but like I said I think they probably just use SAFE-T mostly all the time.