Need help AGAIN with locked out quick key!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
DAMN! Somehow my QK 9 is gone. The system is still in there but wont scan. When I try to scan just that system I get "nothing to scan"......Also when I try to unlock QK 9 it wont do anything. All my service types are "ON". I must have accidentaly pressed wrong button. Anyway I cant get my system in QK 9 to scan. I went thru the list and all the depts and freqs are in there for that system. The manual is no help.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I'm not where I can look at my radio or anything and give you an exact terminology, but the easiest way to do this is to manually, using the radio, go into the menu, pick the first option at the very top it has to do with quick keys and status or something like that, look at the options you have in there and look around until you figure out what you have turned off that should be turned on. What you've done is turned off all of the systems within that quick key 9. So there's nothing to scan and turning them back on has been a pain on Uniden radios for a long time. There's one other way to do it but this way is the quickest and the only one I can quickly tell you. I wish I had my radio in front of me I could explain more but it's not anything that's a problem with the radio and it is something that's easy to fix. You got to be careful and make sure you don't accidentally lock out all of your systems in any quick key or this will happen because there's no system to scan. I've learned this is one reason I like to break up things and not put them all under one system under any quick key. If it's scanning fast, it's easy to press something like .1 and the radio has already scanned past what you were trying to turn off or on and it will lock out that system if you have been numbering your systems.

I'm going to stop talking before I make this two confusing :) I think I'm confusing myself the more I talk. it's a real easy fix and just look at the very first category at the top of your options when you click on the menu and then investigate what options you have within that area. I believe it's two options you have and the bottom one is the one you want to look at where it talks about systems.

I'm sorry I can't proofread this right now but hopefully Google Voice to Text typed everything correctly or came close.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
That's not a bad idea. Maybe make something like QK 99 a dummy system that you would not accidentally lock out and throw in a TGID or frequency that you wouldn't get any traffic or interference on. Good idea!

Brian (COMMSCAN)

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I tried reloading everything from Sentinel back to radio....still cant monitor that system

I'm not where I can look at my radio or anything and give you an exact terminology, but the easiest way to do this is to manually, using the radio, go into the menu, pick the first option at the very top it has to do with quick keys and status or something like that, look at the options you have in there and look around until you figure out what you have turned off that should be turned on. What you've done is turned off all of the systems within that quick key 9. So there's nothing to scan and turning them back on has been a pain on Uniden radios for a long time. There's one other way to do it but this way is the quickest and the only one I can quickly tell you. I wish I had my radio in front of me I could explain more but it's not anything that's a problem with the radio and it is something that's easy to fix. You got to be careful and make sure you don't accidentally lock out all of your systems in any quick key or this will happen because there's no system to scan. I've learned this is one reason I like to break up things and not put them all under one system under any quick key. If it's scanning fast, it's easy to press something like .1 and the radio has already scanned past what you were trying to turn off or on and it will lock out that system if you have been numbering your systems.

I'm going to stop talking before I make this two confusing :) I think I'm confusing myself the more I talk. it's a real easy fix and just look at the very first category at the top of your options when you click on the menu and then investigate what options you have within that area. I believe it's two options you have and the bottom one is the one you want to look at where it talks about systems.

I'm sorry I can't proofread this right now but hopefully Google Voice to Text typed everything correctly or came close.

Brian (COMMSCAN)
I did this but it didnt work. I will hang out on here in case others might help

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber

Brian (COMMSCAN)
I have 2 systems programmed. I got 1 of them locked out. The other one is scanning ok.....

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Nothing to Scan

You should set up a "Dummy" channel on an unused Quick Key to prevent this from happening.
I only used 2 QKS in radio....QK #2 is for RISCON (RI system) and QK #9 is for Mass State Police......no other Quick keys used. Nothing I try works....I even reloaded everything back on to radio from Sentinel and STILL locked out of QK9. In display at top left it shows in a stacked row
"F0"
"S0"
"D0"
There is a "9" at very end of "F0".........Don't understand how to make sense of this.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I only used 2 QKS in radio....QK #2 is for RISCON (RI system) and QK #9 is for Mass State Police......no other Quick keys used. Nothing I try works....I even reloaded everything back on to radio from Sentinel and STILL locked out of QK9. In display at top left it shows in a stacked row
"F0"
"S0"
"D0"
There is a "9" at very end of "F0".........Don't understand how to make sense of this. When I reboot it wont even load that system.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Try this, In scanner menu go to set scan selection> manage quick key status, then check favorites QC and then system QK and turn these on if off.
I forgot you also need to go to select lists to monitor and make sure it is loaded in to scan.

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Try this, In scanner menu go to set scan selection> manage quick key status, then check favorites QC and then system QK and turn these on if off.
I forgot you also need to go to select lists to monitor and make sure it is loaded in to scan.
OK hang on......I deleted the WHOLE SYSTEM that wasnt scanning....reloaded and it is STILL not scanning....If I set radio to NOT scan RISCON and ONLY scan Mass State PD I get "Nothing to scan"

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK that worked.......I think I DONT need Quick KEys!!!! Too much of a hassle cause normally I set radio to scan my 2 systems and leave it alone.....If I do want to only hear1 system I can go do it from "set scan selection" in menu which is SAFER! Thank you for help!!!! Problem solved (for now)

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
One more question can you explain the "F0", "S0" and "D0" in upper left screen? I am using detailed trunk. I have both my QK's 2 and 9 displaying under "F0" and "S0" nothing showing under "D0".

JoeyC

How many sites do you have for the system in QK 9? Do you have them quickeyed? I have never had luck with NOT quickkeying the sites even if it is going to be the only one you use all the time. I suspect your site has been turned off and without a quickkey on it to turn back on, you will get this response from the scanner. Or so I have...

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Once you get use to using them and remember what to check they are much faster and easier to use, I had problems at first but after a day or two no problem. F= Favorites list turned on, S=System on D=department on, an * shows there is a F, S or D in that position that you can use.
If --- then that space (key) is not in use. When the numbers are flashing this shows which F,S,D are the active ones you are hearing.

RadioDaze

Not sure what radio you have... so I don't know if this helps:
"...press and hold the <Function> key, turn the scroll knob and find the system covered by SQK #3, the GQK icons will be present and while still holding the <Function> key press 1, 2, or 3 and the scanner will be able to scan again." (Based on a hypothetical example - see Wiki article.)

Happened to me so many times, I printed it on a piece of paper to put in the car.

From here: Nothing to Scan - The RadioReference Wiki

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Not sure what radio you have... so I don't know if this helps:
"...press and hold the <Function> key, turn the scroll knob and find the system covered by SQK #3, the GQK icons will be present and while still holding the <Function> key press 1, 2, or 3 and the scanner will be able to scan again." (Based on a hypothetical example - see Wiki article.)

Happened to me so many times, I printed it on a piece of paper to put in the car.

From here: Nothing to Scan - The RadioReference Wiki
OK I copied onto notepad the helpful tips you guys suggested. Thank you. Hopefully I wont make this mistake again. BTW using an SDS200. I find it too confusing navigating the QK on/off options. I normally never use them. The only reason I assigned those 2 QKs to my 2 systems was when I first got the radio, I thought you HAD to use them. But like I said if I want to monitor on system at a time I would rather go thru menu to "Set scan selection". But 99% of the time I have both systems running all the time.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Once you get use to using them and remember what to check they are much faster and easier to use, I had problems at first but after a day or two no problem. F= Favorites list turned on, S=System on D=department on, an * shows there is a F, S or D in that position that you can use.
If --- then that space (key) is not in use. When the numbers are flashing this shows which F,S,D are the active ones you are hearing.
OK that explains that! What is confusing is "Favorites list" and "system". I only use 1 favorites list which contains 2 separate systems. No sense to me to assign a QK to a department though, at least in my case.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
How many sites do you have for the system in QK 9? Do you have them quickeyed? I have never had luck with NOT quickkeying the sites even if it is going to be the only one you use all the time. I suspect your site has been turned off and without a quickkey on it to turn back on, you will get this response from the scanner. Or so I have...
I see what you mean....none of the sites in QK9 are assigned QKs. I just assigned each of my 2 systems within my 1 Fav list. I'd like to know what I did to turn that site off? I dont even remember touching radio!

mc48

Premium Subscriber
The Q Keys let you toggle on and off departments while keeping others on. My P25/2 system has police, Fire and EMS on the same system, but with the Q Keys I can turn off the PD or EMS if I want to only listen to fire. Once you figure this out you will want to try number tags so you can toggle directly to a specific channel (talk group).

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
The Q Keys let you toggle on and off departments while keeping others on. My P25/2 system has police, Fire and EMS on the same system, but with the Q Keys I can turn off the PD or EMS if I want to only listen to fire. Once you figure this out you will want to try number tags so you can toggle directly to a specific channel (talk group).
OK gotta read manual a few times on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.