Need help asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

cditty20

ok heres what i got i have a uniden bearcat BCD996T scanner I have programmed the local area police and fire/ ems
heres my problem i have no idea how to set up the Illinois State Police i realize its a starcom21 i have no idea were to begin to get this setup
i need to know step by step (i have no cable so i have to do it manually by hand) how to program the State Police District 17 (LaSalle Bereau and Putnam Counties) in the scanner Headquarters is in LaSalle i need all the frequencies too
any and all help will be awesome
thanks

SCPD

QRT
ok heres what i got i have a uniden bearcat BCD996T scanner I have programmed the local area police and fire/ ems
heres my problem i have no idea how to set up the Illinois State Police i realize its a starcom21 i have no idea were to begin to get this setup
i need to know step by step (i have no cable so i have to do it manually by hand) how to program the State Police District 17 (LaSalle Bereau and Putnam Counties) in the scanner Headquarters is in LaSalle i need all the frequencies too
any and all help will be awesome
thanks
Obtain the control channels for the system you are interested in:

Motorola Trunked Radio System type II frequency entry
In this example we will enter this trunked radio site:
City of Salem "B" Tower Trunking System, Salem, Oregon - Scanner Frequencies

1. Press the menu button on the radio
2. Program System appears press the E/yes key.
3. Select New System Press E/yes key
4. Select System Type > MOT > press E/yes key > Confirm? > E/yes key
5. At the web site you get the control channels listed:
1. 856.48750a
2. 857.48750c
3. 858.48750a
6. Now you enter in one frequency at a time after making a site.
7. Turn the scroll knob to Edit Site > Press E/yes key
8. New Site Appears Press the E/yes key
9. Scroll to Set Frequencies > Press E/yes Key
10. New Frequency appears press E/yes key
11. Input Frequency 856.4875 > Press E/yes key
11a. If you were entering a EDACS or LTR trunked system you will be
prompted for the LCN Number, enter that number then press E/yes key
12. Turn the scroll knob to the "New Frequency" selection > Press E/yes
key
13. Enter Frequency 857.4875 > Press E/yes key
14. "New Frequency" is selected > Press E/yes key
15. Enter Frequency 858.4875 > Press E/yes key

You can now navigate around to check out the menus use the scroll knob.
1. to enter a selected item press the E/yes key
2. To go backwards while in a menu item press the menu button

When you are done press the L/O key. If you ever are lost in a menu or get
a yes/no question or want to get to the main radio scanner LCD screen
press the L/O key. It acts as an escape key does on your computer
keyboard.

At this point you can scan the system by pressing the scan key.

Using the Talk group ID list from radio reference you can cross reference
the active talk groups on the trunked system as you monitor it. If you are
interested in a talkgroup press the E/yes
Quick TGID Save?
appears press the E/yes key
If you don't want to hear a TGID "while it is active" double tap the L/O
key.

This is the simplest way to program the scanner without worry about
systems or groups. Your best bet is to try and use Freescan to program the
scanner using radio reference database for more advanced features.
You can obtain a USB-1 cable from Uniden Parts or Scanner Master.

Last edited:

jclarkr6

ac7xc did a good job of providing an example of how to program a Motorola Type II System, but the Illinois Starcom21 system is a P25 system. I don't own a BCD996T (I have a BCD396XT), so my advice may not be perfect, but I'll try to make a few helpful suggestions. Again, I don't own a BCD996T, so I may be wrong about this:

For Step 4: When the scanner prompts you to "Select Sys Type," I would think that there would be some type of "P25" option. If there is, select it.

At this point, hopefully you have created a system, so you can name the system (something like "Starcom21") and now it is time to set up the site or sites in the Starcom21 system that you want to monitor. I usually name each site after the town the site is located in (which works for most sites, unless there are multiple sites in a town, then you can label them "Town A," "Town B," etc.). You can follow ac7xc's steps 6-11 (ignoring step 11a, it doesn't apply here) to enter the frequencies for the site or sites that you wish to monitor.

You haven't told us what site or sites you want to monitor, you just told us that you want to monitor ISP District 17, but usually people just monitor the 1 or 2 sites that are closest to them (unless you're going to be taking your scanner on the road, but let's just concentrate on one or two sites right now). For future reference, it helps if you go into your RadioReference profile and type in your geographic location, then it will be displayed above your post count in the RR Forums. Letting people know where you live (or at least the general area) will sometimes allow them to help you faster. The Starcom21 site lists all the sites and their frequencies, you can find the Starcom21 page here: StarCom21 Statewide Illinois P25 Trunking System, Statewide, Illinois - Scanner Frequencies . You will want to monitor the site or sites that are closest to where you live. Here is a great map of the Starcom21 sites: Illinois StarCom21 - Google Maps (zooming in on the map makes it easier to read).

You mentioned wanting to monitor the LaSalle site, so if you were going to do that, you would need to enter in the following frequencies: 851.42500, 851.90000, 851.95000, 852.47500, 853.31250, 853.88750 , 853.95000, 855.16250. All of those frequencies would need to be entered in the LaSalle site.

If you need help with region specific questions, you can ask them in the Illinois forum, which is located here: Illinois Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

Many people have found the following page helpful for programming their BCD996T: Easier to Read BCTD996T/UBCD996T Manual, you might want to check it out to see if it can help explain how to operate your scanner. I know it's easy to get overwhelmed the first time you have to program a digital scanner, but I promise that it will get easier as you get more used to your scanner. It took me at least two or three weeks till I was able to quickly change my scanner settings and programming by hand, but now I feel like I could do it in my sleep. Never be afraid to ask the members of RadioReference for help, this site has some great members that have a lot of knowledge to share. Welcome to RadioReference.com and good luck getting your scanner programmed. :cool:

cditty20

only question

the only question i got left is ISP District 17 is laSalle bereau and putnam counties if i entered the ones for so do i have to enter frequencies for each county or since lasalle is the headquarters will i get them all?

jclarkr6

cditty20, you would probably be better off asking that question in the Illinois Forum. Each radio is affiliated with one or more sites, so if you are monitoring the LaSalle site, you will only hear radios that are affiliated with that site. Now, those radios could also be affiliated with other sites in District 17, but you will need to talk to someone who monitors the LaSalle site or District 17 to find out what traffic you will commonly hear on the LaSalle site. I live in downstate Illinois, so I've never had a chance to monitor the LaSalle site, so I'm just not sure what radios are commonly affiliated with it.

I do monitor the Mattoon site in Coles County (District 10), and I hear troopers that are all the way in Champaign and Vermillion County. I also pick up traffic from nearby District 21. For you, it may be possible to pick up traffic that is not a part of District 17, you will just have to experiment and see what you get. I think the chances are good that you will hear what is going on in the other counties just by monitoring the LaSalle site, but you should ask someone more familiar with the LaSalle site to make sure. All the talkgroups are listed on the Starcom21 page, so you can always find out what talkgroups you are hearing. For more help, ask the guys in the Illinois Forum, they always provide great assistance. Good luck!

cditty20

cditty20, you would probably be better off asking that question in the Illinois Forum. Each radio is affiliated with one or more sites, so if you are monitoring the LaSalle site, you will only hear radios that are affiliated with that site. Now, those radios could also be affiliated with other sites in District 17, but you will need to talk to someone who monitors the LaSalle site or District 17 to find out what traffic you will commonly hear on the LaSalle site. I live in downstate Illinois, so I've never had a chance to monitor the LaSalle site, so I'm just not sure what radios are commonly affiliated with it.

I do monitor the Mattoon site in Coles County (District 10), and I hear troopers that are all the way in Champaign and Vermillion County. I also pick up traffic from nearby District 21. For you, it may be possible to pick up traffic that is not a part of District 17, you will just have to experiment and see what you get. I think the chances are good that you will hear what is going on in the other counties just by monitoring the LaSalle site, but you should ask someone more familiar with the LaSalle site to make sure. All the talkgroups are listed on the Starcom21 page, so you can always find out what talkgroups you are hearing. For more help, ask the guys in the Illinois Forum, they always provide great assistance. Good luck![/QUOTE
i figured it out like 3 seconds after i posted that sorry but hey thanks everyone for helping me i should be good for now. the only problem i have right now is in lasalle county were i live the sheriffs department uses both the trunked and old frequencies but i cant find the trunked nor do i know them i posted it in the illinoise forum but no one answers anything there there has only been a scanner in the house lol my dad and i work for a towing company and at one time he was on the fire department again thanks for the help

jclarkr6

the only problem i have right now is in lasalle county were i live the sheriffs department uses both the trunked and old frequencies but i cant find the trunked nor do i know them
It looks like the LaSalle County Sheriff's Dept. uses the Illinois Clear Talk System, as well as conventional frequencies. The sites, frequencies, and talkgroups for the Illinois Clear Talk System can be found here: Clear Talk -- Illinois Cooperative Association - 800 MHz Trunking System, Areawide IL, Illinois - Scanner Frequencies. The Clear Talk system is a Motorola Type II System, so when you are creating the system, you need to make sure that you select an option for Motorola Type II when it asks you for the system type (I think the option is "MOT" on your scanner). Follow ac7xc's steps 1-4 to create the Motorola Type II system. Then you just need to find what sites are closest to you on the Cleartalk page, create that site or those sites in your scanner, and then enter in the frequencies for those sites. The talkgroup that the LaSalle County Sheriff's Dept. is using for dispatch is 21040. Hopefully with this information you will be all set.

cditty20

It looks like the LaSalle County Sheriff's Dept. uses the Illinois Clear Talk System, as well as conventional frequencies. The sites, frequencies, and talkgroups for the Illinois Clear Talk System can be found here: Clear Talk -- Illinois Cooperative Association - 800 MHz Trunking System, Areawide IL, Illinois - Scanner Frequencies. The Clear Talk system is a Motorola Type II System, so when you are creating the system, you need to make sure that you select an option for Motorola Type II when it asks you for the system type (I think the option is "MOT" on your scanner). Follow ac7xc's steps 1-4 to create the Motorola Type II system. Then you just need to find what sites are closest to you on the Cleartalk page, create that site or those sites in your scanner, and then enter in the frequencies for those sites. The talkgroup that the LaSalle County Sheriff's Dept. is using for dispatch is 21040. Hopefully with this information you will be all set.
Ok Thanks Also i have a Radioshack pro 433 i know it does the mot type 2 but there are different kinds will it work with mine?

jclarkr6

i have a Radioshack pro 433 i know it does the mot type 2 but there are different kinds will it work with mine?
Although the Pro-433 does support Motorola Type II systems, it does not support rebanded systems and unfortunately, the Clear Talk System has been rebanded (more info on rebanding can be found here: Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki). This probably means that your Pro-433 won't be able to properly track the Clear Talk trunking system (resulting in you missing all or some of the radio traffic). For this question, you should ask the folks in the RadioShack forum if your Pro-433 would be at all useful in monitoring Clear Talk (a rebanded Motorola Type II system with analog voice) or if it's a lost cause. I've never tried to use a scanner that did not support rebanding to monitor a rebanded system, so I don't know if you would have any luck hearing some of the transmissions or not. You can always try it just to see if you can hear anything (even parts of a conversation), it can be fun to experiment with a scanner. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.