• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need Help! Beginning Citizens Band Radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pretty crappy cobra 19 ultra 3 cb and i figured i could do some mods to the son of a gun so through some ideas out and tell me how to turn that thing into a base... I also need some desk ideas for my cbs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,067

TheSpaceMan

You need a base antenna and some coax. The Solarcon A-99 is popular and inexpensive, or you could build your own ground plane. RG 8X cable should fill the bill. A power supply is needed, and a power mike would help!

SCPD

QRT
For me, its more than a hobby...its my business

For years I have delt with all types of radio equipment & computers.
I currently own my own business & very frequently find myself installing another cb & happily teaching the current practices of this incredible hobby.
So before people begin running their fingers across their keyboard....please allow me to ask you the right questions.

The first & probably most important question is: What is your budget like?

Answer this first one before you begin listening to anyones ideas.
To get the right answer you want from people, you must first let someone heavily experienced know just what can work best & still fit your exact needs.
Now if your real interested in being heard....I highly suggest having a budget of @ least $250.
Although its not necassary, it can save you more money in the long run if you just simply buy the best now.
Find my club for newbies on facebook....its free to join, non-profit & one of if not the very best place to get great advice & the quickest answers.
Unlike forums where you have to impatiently wait for random ideas, I check my facebook (which the club is linked to my notifications) several times a day.
I can more easily troubleshoot any problems you come across & give you "on the money" tips.
Hope I can continue to help, & if your serious about the hobby...I can seriously help you succeed. 73's as we say in the cb world.
*Google: Citizens Band Central & scroll for the facebook page or simply search for it on facebook.

Sincerely John "Tha Reaper, 892" & "KK4PGM"

LtDoc

Very basically, you will need a power supply and antenna and feed line. Your 'crappy' radio is probably about as 'average' as any on the market now, until you start into the more expensive radios. As for 'mods' that involve 'opening the hood' of a radio, I would recommend that you don't do that. Most of those 'mods' are not worth the trouble and cost, and are more 'advertising' than anything else.
- 'Doc

(Your desk etc, are also about as 'average' as it gets. Some are fancier, but a lot of us don't even have what you've got.)

SpectreOZ

As for 'mods' that involve 'opening the hood' of a radio, I would recommend that you don't do that. Most of those 'mods' are not worth the trouble and cost, and are more 'advertising' than anything else.

+1

In all honesty the radio requires a significant boost in power to be even noticeable at the other end whilst over driving the modulation (loud audio) creates an awful sound at the other end let alone making difficult for others to comprehend what you're actually saying, so unless it's a "Cobra 148GTL-ese" radio it should work decently in stock trim...

Costs involved are based purely on what you want to achieve, your environment and personal preferences.

For example a mobile whip (tuned to be resonant) on a tin roof works quite well, and costs very little and will be good for a range of up to 10Km (or perhaps more depending on terrain) additionally a car battery/charger combo can be used to power the station (good in unreliable power grid locations) instead of a dedicated 13.8v pwer supply.

Thanks for all the replies. My budget is pretty tight and i have the solarcon a99 but the middle diapole threaded screwin is broken and probably could be repaired. I am afraid the cobra 19 ultra 3 with the a99 will not work so help me out. Will post pics of current redneck antenna mount. Mention any additional ideas please... God Bless

Very basically, you will need a power supply and antenna and feed line. Your 'crappy' radio is probably about as 'average' as any on the market now, until you start into the more expensive radios. As for 'mods' that involve 'opening the hood' of a radio, I would recommend that you don't do that. Most of those 'mods' are not worth the trouble and cost, and are more 'advertising' than anything else.
- 'Doc

(Your desk etc, are also about as 'average' as it gets. Some are fancier, but a lot of us don't even have what you've got.)

Thanks "Doc"

Status
Not open for further replies.