Need help changing between systems on bct15x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all: Just recieved a bct15x for christmas, read through the easier to use guide (I am very new to the hobby, so even the terminology is new to me). I set up and named 5 systems and set up and named around 2-3 groups in each system with 2-3 named channels in each group. I have the first system set to (.) On start up and when I turn on the scanner it will scan through all the channels in that system. I cannot figure out how to turn the other systems on and off quickly. I tried assigning a number to the systems and also to the groups, but when I press that number while scanning nothing changes. I was wondering how I can start up the scanner to scan my first system (like it does now) and then turn the other systems on and off at will.
Happy new year and thanks for being here to help newbies like myself...

captclint

Mentor
I cannot figure out how to turn the other systems on and off quickly. I tried assigning a number to the systems and also to the groups, but when I press that number while scanning nothing changes. I was wondering how I can start up the scanner to scan my first system (like it does now) and then turn the other systems on and off at will.
It sounds like you did not actually assign system quick keys to each of your systems. If you did, pressing "1" while scanning would definitely turn that system on/off. Easier to Read BCT15-X Scanner Manual Set Quick keys Note that this is different from Start-up Key which you assigned to the one system

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Also, be sure you have not locked out the other systems. Lock/Unlock is a separate function from enabling/disabling QKs.

Hi all, so I tried again. I have 5 systems that are all conventional systems with 3 groups in each system and 5 frequencies in each group. The first system is set to (.) At startup with a quickkey of 1. My 2nd system is (2) at startup with a quick key of 2, and so on for all 5 systems. The (SO line shows *234) and when I hit the quick keys it changes the number on the SO line to * and back, but doesn't scan those systems. I checked to make sure each system/group/channel is unlocked and I also tried changing the startup keys to a number assigning and also assigning a numbertag to them. The scanner still only scans my first system. And doesnt change when I hit the quickkey #s. I'm sure it's something silly that I am missing...Thanks, Carl

Blackink

Are you using FreeScan to program your scanner?

If so, maybe you have set it up so a Startup Configuration is enabled instead of scanning all 5 Systems that you are trying to program.

I would go through the FreeScan program, set each "Startup Key" dropdown window with a ( . ), and then go through and assign each of your Systems 1-5 a Quick Key with System #1 having a Quick Key of #1, System #2 with a Quick Key of 2, and so on until you've number all 5 of the Systems you've created accordingly.

Upload that file to your scanner, making sure you select all 5 "Systems to Upload" and then select "Replace any existing system by the same name, add remaining" to overwrite what you have in there now.
Make sure "Send System Quick Key Status" is checked off and make sure "Automatically Resume Scanning" is checked also.
Do not select the text that is in RED (the top selection.

When ever I'm uploading a file (my frequencies) into my scanner from FreeScan in the "Send To Scanner" window, I start with selecting "Erase All Systems and Settings". When that upload is done, my scanner comes back saying "Nothing to Scan" on the display screen. I then close out of that FreeScan window, click on the upload icon in the main FreeScan window again so you now see the "Send To Scanner " window, select (check) all the systems I want uploaded, in the window on the left side, which is usually all that I have. I then select "Replace any existing system by the same name", "Send custom radio settings", "Send Systen Quick Key Status", and "Automatically Resume Scanning"

Here's what the Easier To Read Manual says about the Startup Configuration: Startup Keys you can program each of your conventional systems, trunked sites, service searches, or custom searches with a 'Startup Key' (0-9) so that when you power up the scanner and press the key number, just those systems/sites/searches assigned to the key will be enabled for scan (groups are not affected).

Here's a bit more on that subject: To use a Startup Key:
1. Turn the scanner off.
2. Press & hold the number key that corresponds to the startup key when you turn the scanner on.
3. Continue holding the number key until the scanner display shows the number of the startup key configuration.

When you use startup configuration, the scanner checks all systems, sites, and search ranges and:

All systems, sites, or search ranges that do not have a startup key assigned will be scanned the way they were when you last turned off the scanner.
All systems, sites, or search ranges that have a the startup key assigned to the one you pressed will be unlocked.
All systems, sites, or search ranges that have a different startup key assigned will be locked out.
The scanner will remember the last startup configuration you used when you power up the scanner using just the power key.

Caution: If you press the wrong key when you press the power key to set your startup configuration, and that wrong key doesn't have any systems assigned to that key, you will startup your scanner with all systems locked out.
Also, you can't cancel Startup Configuration, i.e. have your scanner startup with all systems unlocked they way they were before you used Startup Configuration.

I hope this helps...

EDIT: If you're programming your scanner manually, by hand, as you are going through the steps to program, set up the Quick Keys as I mentioned above and set up the all StartUp Keys for each System with a ( . )
When you are done and hit the SCAN button, just make sure all those Quick Key numbers are showing up in the SO line near the bottom of the display screen on your scanner. If you see the asterisks * , then just press the Quick Key to the System you want to scan, or press numbers 1-5 on your keypad and this should enable all 5 Systems...

Last edited:
Woo hoo, I just figured it out. I had everything programmed correctly. I needed to rotate function knob to switch between my set systems and then press scan to scan all that systems groups and channels...
Thanks all for your help

Blackink

Woo hoo, I just figured it out. I had everything programmed correctly. I needed to rotate function knob to switch between my set systems and then press scan to scan all that systems groups and channels...
Thanks all for your help

Glad you got it working...Happy Scanning.......Woo-Hoo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.