Need help choosing a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

gladiator

Hi I want to buy a scanner (handheld preferable) I am interested in listening to Fire and PD for Hollywood, and Miami Dade /Broward main. I live in Hollywood so it should cover ok. I understand that Hollywood has digital (is it encrypted or just digital?). I went online and looked at uniden (I had a scanner maybe 10 years ago - just realized how much things have changed). I thought about BCD396T do you guys think this would be adequate or overkill (I guess price it is a little high but acceptable found on Ebay at 539) Do you know of any other palce that sells for less? Thanks for the help.

LarrySC

I think you need to look at the PRO-96 GRE that Radio Shack sells. Easier to operate than BC units. Software required. Post on Florida Forum for locals to help. Good Luck either way.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
gladiator said:
Hi I want to buy a scanner (handheld preferable) I am interested in listening to Fire and PD for Hollywood, and Miami Dade /Broward main. I live in Hollywood so it should cover ok. I understand that Hollywood has digital (is it encrypted or just digital?). I went online and looked at uniden (I had a scanner maybe 10 years ago - just realized how much things have changed). I thought about BCD396T do you guys think this would be adequate or overkill (I guess price it is a little high but acceptable found on Ebay at 539) Do you know of any other palce that sells for less? Thanks for the help.

Hollywood is Motorola digital, but not encrypted. You need one of the digital scanner models to monitor them. Broward County is Motorola, almost all analog, but with a few digital talkgroups. Miami-Dade County is EDACS analog.

Yes, I believe the BCD396T is a good scanner, it will serve you just fine for most of South Florida.

gladiator

Thanks everybody. I will get the BCD396T I found it on ebay at 504 paid extra 30 for 2nd day air. I feel like a kid again waiting for it to come in couple of days. I will probably ask you when I get it for some help with setting it up especially with trunking. I really appreciate your expertise.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I like the 396 than pro96. 396 has more options than RS. Plus 396 tracks 700mhz and picks up music pro96 doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.