• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need help choosing radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosgt

Not sure if this is the right place, but maybe someone can direct me.

I am looking to prepare a proposal for my company for radios for our worksite. We are a contractor for a municipal agency, so that might be a factor. It is also a secure facility.

So I think we are looking at 15 radios, with chargers and spare batteries.

Range is not far at all: This is one building, two stories, and the perimeter. We currently have a few VHF radios that are tasked for a special purpose, they do receive throughout the building. It is a cinder block building with steel roll up doors, and there are some areas that my cell signal (Verizon) does not get through.

So the requirements would be fairly short range, multi channel (probably at least 4-5), small and light to be carried around, at least 8 hour battery life (but the radios would have VERY limited transmit time, except for the Supervisor radios which would be kept on charge most of the time).

I also should mention that the company is already licensed for at least 10 frequencies, and they appear to be mostly DMR.

So who can recommend a radio? Cost would be a factor. Motorola extremely unlikely,

Last edited:

bharvey2

It seems that your environment should be pretty easy to deal with but you should learn more about the frequencies for which your company is already licensed. Are they all simplex or are there repeater pairs as well? You might do a little better in the building using UHF (450-512mhz)

If Motorola is out of the question, you might consider Kenwood, (one of my favs) Hytera, Vertex or if you budget is pretty tight, maybe even Connect Systems (I use them for some of our guys and they hold up fairly well) Depending upon your frequencies, I think all of the above mentioned have both analog and DMR offerings.

If you can get more detail on your FCC licensing/frequencies then members will be better able to offer suggestions of specific radio models.

Status
Not open for further replies.