• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

need help converting a VHF Astro Spectra from W4 to W7

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary123

I am trying to convert a w4 astro spectra from a w4 head to a w7 head. Has anyone done this before? I have all the hardware and everything looks good. What i need to do is edit the codeplug or replace it with a W7 version.

Here is some info about the radio, the flash is 5D9508-14DE00-4 model D04KKH9PW7AN. The radio is VHF 136-162 ( i can work arround the band limits so any split is ok).

I need to match the above flash as close as possible. I have all the software needed. If someone has a srecord, codeplug or the steps needed to change the head info i would apreciate the assistance.

gary123

I suspected as much all I need to do is get a srecord I can use. I have one for a W7 now but cant seem to save it as a .cpg archive (so I can see the features etc before loading it to the radio).

I was looking at bitbanging the W4 codeplug I have, if I can locate the byte for the control head.

the other option is to simply force a W7 codeplug into the radio and take my chances. Anyone got a W7 vhf codeplug they are willing to share?

mancow

Database Admin
No, there is no editing

Don't try to edit it or do anything. Think of it as a Norton Ghost image of a computer hard drive. Yes, there is a way to edit them but it requires manual manipulation and checksum correction of blocks and lines but that is not done in any RSS and is done in a hex editor. Just load the file into MTSX lab using the S record menu and write using read write with pack no unpack option.

The codeplug thing is confusing you. Forget about that. It's a different format. It's the file read from the radio and formatted by CPS to a human usable format. The S record is the raw machine line code that the radio needs to interface with the firmware. It's everything...tuning and all. It's the entire memory contents.

Forget the whole batlabs old school codeplug forced thing. That only worked in ancient RSS with ancient files. An S record is a memory "snapshot" a forensic read if you will...of the memory structure. You can S record image any legacy Astro and force it into any other legacy Astro but it has to be done as a single record using the pack/no unpack menu. Don't try to look at it.

Last edited:

radio1885

Hello I am in need of a S record. To do the same as gary123. I would like to give this a try to see if this really works. I am going from a W3 to a W7. I did changed the interconnect board. The model number of the radio is T04KLH9PW3AN Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.