DSDPlus Need help - DSDplus won't decode with SDRplay RSPdx

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanphreak

Hello all...

I have an SDRplay RSPdx, and today downloaded DSD+ (not Fastlane) from the site, and I followed someone's YouTube video on setting it up to listen to DMR, but it's not working for me. I installed the package, and added the dll files into the directory, and then installed VB_cable, and rebooted the computer. I am using SDRuno to receive. I have the Output set to Cable Input (VB Audio), and when I launch dsdplay, I launch it from a CMD in administrator mode. I'm using the command dsdplay -i1 -o2 and the entire package loads, and the source audio window shows it's receiving the audio in DSD, and in my sound manager it shows audio on the level.

But in the DSD+ window nothing happens. Nothing is scrolling up in the program. It just sits there, and I never hear anything. What am I missing here?

I took a snippit of my desktop showing everything opened if that helps.

dsdplusissue.PNG

scanphreak

You have to make sure there is no DSP been applied to the audio been sent to DSD+

Can you expand on that?

I noticed that in my taskbar the microphone icon is displayed and says that dsdplus is using it. I also took a snip of my sound settings. I'm not sure where you're referring to the DSP at?

Attachments

• microphonedsd.PNG
    microphonedsd.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 19
  • soundsettings.PNG
    soundsettings.PNG
    175.4 KB · Views: 17

scanphreak

I can visually see audio getting from SDRplay to DSD+ and I recorded this raw audio of DMR just a minute ago. Just rename it from .zip to .wav to hear it. It's got to be something really easy I'm over looking. *shrug*

Attachments

• DSDPlus-Raw-Input_2022-02-26@183229.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 25

thewraith2008

You want the audio sent to DSD+ to be unfiltered. (or not processed by anything else like DSP= Digital Signal Processing)
Some of these filters only bandpass approx. 300-4000Hz. This cuts out too much of the signal for DSD+ to decode anything.
SDRUno is filled with this stuff so you need to turn it off or bypass it.
This may not be your issue but it's worth checking to see if it is.

The Fastlane version of DSD+ has the tuner program (FMPP.exe) for the some SDRPlay devices, but I'm not sure if the RSPdx supported.
This would be the preferred option as it removes the clunky SDRUno from the equation.

scanphreak

You want the audio sent to DSD+ to be unfiltered. (or not processed by anything else like DSP= Digital Signal Processing)
Some of these filters only bandpass approx. 300-4000Hz. This cuts out too much of the signal for DSD+ to decode anything.
SDRUno is filled with this stuff so you need to turn it off or bypass it.
This may not be your issue but it's worth checking to see if it is.

The Fastlane version of DSD+ has the tuner program (FMPP.exe) for the some SDRPlay devices, but I'm not sure if the RSPdx supported.
This would be the preferred option as it removes the clunky SDRUno from the equation.

Thanks for the additional information. I went into the audio settings of windows and disabled all of the enhancements. I see now that you're talking about in SDRuno. I'll start looking in there.

Last edited:

scanphreak

Hey you're on the right track. I'm finally seeing data in dsd+ I found a menu in SDRplay for for FM enhancement and there was an option enabled for FM deemphasis. I switched it from DEEM to OFF, and immediately everything started. Of course I'm not hearing any voice traffic. But I am getting information now, as seen in the attached pictures.

This site I'm trying to monitor is a 5 frequency MotoTRBO Hytera single site system. So now I need to find out how to receive the voice channels?

If I monitor with my BCD325P2 I can program all 5 frequencies in as multi-site DMR/MotoTRBO and if I go in ID Search mode it never seems to find the system (most likely because I don't have the LCN) But if I put the scanner in HOLD on the first frequency (453.3250) I will see the XPT icon flash along with hearing voice traffic with talk group IDs displaying. I'm trying to use DSD to discover the LCN, but I'd also like to hear the voice channels as well.

Attachments

• dsd-working.PNG
    dsd-working.PNG
    523.7 KB · Views: 34
  • dsd-working2.PNG
    dsd-working2.PNG
    569 KB · Views: 32

thewraith2008

Just did a test here and I could get DSD (not +) decoding, but it was not always 100%.
Looks like more tweaking would be need of SDRUno, I don't use this SDR or SDUno so I don't know where all the stuff is.

3QVXntX.png

thewraith2008

You will not be able to leverage DSD+ trunking capabilities when setup like this.

I don't think DSD+ (even the FL) fully handles DMR XPT trunking.

thewraith2008

Also, the volume level in SDRUno needs to be set so it's not to low or high.
Make sure the squelch is OFF as well.
It also goes without saying, that a decent signal level is key.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you are having success. My setup is similar and after several months of not using it I had decode issues. Turned out my version of VB_Cable has defaulted to a lower sampling rate. Likely to have happened when I applied an upgrade. Because of the background nature of virtual audio cables we tend to overlook them, like for several hours of hair pulling. :-(
Mike

scanphreak

Looks like you are having success. My setup is similar and after several months of not using it I had decode issues. Turned out my version of VB_Cable has defaulted to a lower sampling rate. Likely to have happened when I applied an upgrade. Because of the background nature of virtual audio cables we tend to overlook them, like for several hours of hair pulling. :-(
Mike

Yes I am. I'm now decoding voice too. I guess it just took time for everything to start working. Now that its decoding voice traffic through my PC speakers, and all of the event logs are getting recorded, it sounds like thewraith2008 put me in the right direction to tweak the settings in SDRuno.

Now I need to focus on the purpose of installing all of this, which is to find out how to get the LCNs for these systems.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
As previously stated, DSDPlus Fastlane does not trunk track the XPT frequencies. The good news is DSDPlus FL will decode the audio properly for a given frequency. A solution is to add the frequencies to a SCANLIST file and scan through each frequency sequentially.

scanphreak

As previously stated, DSDPlus Fastlane does not trunk track the XPT frequencies. The good news is DSDPlus FL will decode the audio properly for a given frequency. A solution is to add the frequencies to a SCANLIST file and scan through each frequency sequentially.

Understood... Really what I'm trying to achieve with DSD is find the LCN for this system. I'm finding that DSD is decoding the audio, I don't know if it's properly, but it sounds very clear, and it is capturing group calls, etc. So now my focus is finding out how to get the LCN through DSD?

Also I'm noticing that the DSD+ Channel Activity window will pull up CH numbers and target like CC or TG etc. but the TX Freq rows are always empty. If I park on a control channel, shouldn't it capture the frequencies?

Attachments

• dsdchannelactivity.PNG
    dsdchannelactivity.PNG
    183.3 KB · Views: 30

thewraith2008

In most cases, DSD+ needs to be told the frequencies to associate to LCNs (for networks and sites).

The three files: DSDPlus.networks, DSDPlus.sites and DSDPlus.frequencies do this. (open them with notepad)

BM82557

Understood... Really what I'm trying to achieve with DSD is find the LCN for this system...

2 useful utilities to do just that for NXDN systems are mentioned in this post --

The direct download link, mentioned in that post, is --

scanphreak

2 useful utilities to do just that for NXDN systems are mentioned in this post --

Anything for DMR? The NXDN sites I'm monitoring already have the LCN listed in RRDB, I'm trying to add a new system to the DB and they're using XPT DMR. That's the one I need to find the LCNs for. it's 5 frequencies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

It needs to be noted that those calculators only work if standard bandplans are used. Non-standard bandplans or if a sysadmin is inclined to do their own numbering defeats that. So one should in no way trust unequivocally what one of those calculators spits out. If one uses those calculators, then one needs to completely very operation with those new LCNs added afterwards to make sure the system is using a standard bandplan.

thewraith2008

A DMR TIII calculator can be found here:

NOTE: Does not work with custom channel plans like CAP+, CON+

Status
Not open for further replies.