• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need help for a complete mobile setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For whatever reasons there may be, I know there is some disdain for magnet mounts in some extremely qualified quarters, as evidenced by monikers forever stating: "Just drill the damn hole." :) There are probably bumper stickers too.

The 0.1dB loss isn't the issue. As you stated, that's not going to be detectable by anyone without test gear.

The issue is the lack of a DC ground at the antenna base. Without that, RF energy can travel back down the coax shield into the vehicle and to the radio and other systems. That can create issues in some instances.

I own two magnetic mounts. I use them for testing and temporary installs where appropriate. My preference, and what I recommend to others, is to do the installation properly, as it will prevent a lot of issues in the long run.
And as I always say, you do whatever you want, if it works for you, then that's all that matters.

I'll think about working on the bumper sticker, but I'd be concerned it would get confused with the idiotic "drill baby, drill" statement.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I would be curious where the 0.1 dB comes from. If it were a UHF mag mount, perhaps, but there is a tuning issue between the CB mag mount capacitance and the cable reradiating. If you could tune the VSWR to optimum and keep the cable taped down to the vehicle, maybe, but that is not the real world where folks just slap them on.

FiveFilter

That's an excellent point mmckenna. It is important to make sure the mag mount is properly grounded like any antenna should be.

By its very design, the mag mount does not achieve its ground via a secure physical force such as through a hole with mounting rings or a clamp with securing screws. Instead, the mag mount achieves its ground electrically via capacitance coupling as provided by the antenna's design and its use of magnetic force to hold it in place on the vehicle. This lack of physical clamping and connection means there is more risk of common mode current coming back to the radio via the coax due to the non-physical grounding principle.

However, I have found this doesn't present any significant problems if a good magnet mount antenna and coax are used, and that it is properly tuned to a good SWR value, and that the radio's chassis is properly grounded to the vehicle's chassis via a direct connection or a connecting wire. My antennas typically show an SWR of 1.2 or 1.3 or so and sometimes perhaps less than that because the pointer barely moves. Following such procedures, I have experienced excellent communicating ability with the mag mount antennas and haven't found ground and common mode current to be a problem.

And about those bumper stickers: I guess they could be subject to various interpretations. That's why I don't have any bumper stickers on any of my vehicles no matter what the topic. Our society seems to be developing an increasing number of intolerant nuts who express their disagreements kinetically rather than verbally.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
However, I have found this doesn't present any significant problems if a good magnet mount antenna and coax are used, and that it is properly tuned to a good SWR value, and that the radio's chassis is properly grounded to the vehicle's chassis via a direct connection or a connecting wire.

Yeah, that's key, and often overlooked on the "slap it in quick" installs.

And about those bumper stickers: I guess they could be subject to various interpretations. That's why I don't have any bumper stickers on any of my vehicles no matter what the topic. Our society seems to be developing an increasing number of intolerant nuts who express their disagreements kinetically rather than verbally.

Yep, no stickers, no license plate frames, no nothing that doesn't have to be there. Have had enough issues traveling around the country with California license plates.

WB9YBM

Alrighty then :)

Cause quite a stir there.

I'm European, I was taught British english, but spent too much time on the internet, so now it is neither British nor American english.

As for permissions to use a CB radio in Morocco, it is not a problem, every single car running in the race has one. Around 200 cars participate.

So coming back to the topic at hand?
The radio. Any other suggestions? Some dream model I should look at now that the Uniden PRO520XL isn't an option given it is AM only?

As for antenna, it's being mounted on a Volvo V70 roof. I could mount in on a roof rack to avoid the magnet mount, but given that we have to take it of once in a while, magnet is still preferable. What are the downsides to a magnet mount?

Any suggestions for an antenna in general?

In general, I've had poor luck with non-name brand radios & antennas (trying to save a dollar ended up costing extra when I had to replace a bargain unit with a name-brand after the bargain unit failed). Uniden's certainly a well-known brand as is Cobra, although Cobra tends to be a bit pricey...

RFI-EMI-GUY

Anytone AT-6666.
Technically a 10m amateur radio, but we're not kidding anyone here how easy it is to modify. Does everything you want it to do, and then some.
I use it when 4-wheeling with friends who have only CB.

I find myself wanting one. However it would be "wrong" :cool:. Hmm, some good prices...(y)

The OP however, is traveling to Morocco where there are limitations of 4 watts and he is required to get a permit. See my message #9.

Status
Not open for further replies.