need help for new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoffman

yes i bought a new pro - 97 20 - 527 hand held scanner from radio scack i need to know some things about it im dumb founded when it comes to stuff like this but i need to know how to program it to my scanner such as the banking and how to use the banking pluss i need to know how to program it to were it will say police so forth and so on also would like to know how the triple trunking workes and what i need to do to get it to work and how to use it and last but not least will it pick up south carolina state troopers if so how do i get them programmed

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
For State Police look at http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=429
You will need a APCO-25 digital scanner (Pro-96)

For other statewide systems, look at
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=852
The Pro-97 is great for this.

To program this radio, take your time, read the manual with the radio in hand and do what the manual says .

The manual is not always the easiest to follow so others have written instructions that couls be easier to follow.
myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners/97/97.html

Additional reading can be found at wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-97

The answers to most of your questions can be founs at the above sources.

If you are still confused or need help with specific issues, please provide detail as to which system and someone in this forum wuii have the answer.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-97 programming

When I purchased my first PRO-97 scanner, I had already been using a PRO-92 & PRO-95 scanner. The PRO-97 manual supplied by Radio Shack is one of the worst manuals I have ever seen (and I read a lot of manuals). Because of my prior experience with other PRO-9x scanners, it made getting to know the PRO-97 a lot easier.

I am a firm believer in learning to drive on a stick shift before driving with an automatic. In keeping with that idealogy I figured out what I wanted programmed into my PRO-97 on paper (text editor) before punching a single key on a PRO-97. Then it took me one entire week just punching keys to get the nearly 1000 frequencies and over 200 talkgroups (all with text tags) entered. Certainly I can now do this anytime I need to, but would probably never do it again; as I have WIN97. But this exercise also helped understand other operational commands of the scanner as well.

1. There is an "easier to read manual" online. Read that before the manual supplied with the scanner. Get to understand some basic terms such as "trunking", "conventional", "talkgroup", "banks" and so on.

2. Get yourself a cable which connects between the scanner and your PC. There are 2 versions out there; one for USB ports and one for COM ports. The COM port version is cheaper but much more difficult to find. Some people have difficulties getting the USB version to work, but we can all help you here with that.

3. Download WIN97 from www.starrsoft.com it is pretty much what everyone uses for this scanner. It is free to use for 30 days, then it costs $25 (or is it $30) for lifetime use. Well worth the price. Don't activate the software until you've got the cable in hand so you can maximize your 30 days. I just paid up front for my copy.

N8IAA

lugoffman said:
yes i bought a new pro - 97. I need to know how to program it to my scanner such as the banking and how to use the banking plus I need to know how to program it to were it will say police so forth and so on also would like to know how the triple trunking works and what i need to do to get it to work and how to use it and last but not least will it pick up south carolina state troopers if so how do i get them programmed
SC SP are digital. You will need a Pro-96 to monitor them. For ease of programming, get Win97. It is free for 30 days, then a key to use it needs to be bought. The software will allow you to program the banks and individual frequencies with alphatags. Much easier and faster than by hand. Have fun with your new scanner. I own a 97 and enjoy it very much.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.