• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need help for the clue of codeplug password

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG2BOW

Anyone has the clue for the codeplug passord? Please see the attachment snapped in Wireshark. Thanks.

Attachments

• snapshot for wireshark.PNG
    snapshot for wireshark.PNG
    25.8 KB · Views: 106

BG2BOW

Attachments

• 微信图片_20200619061212.jpg
    微信图片_20200619061212.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 微信图片_20200619061218.jpg
    微信图片_20200619061218.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 微信图片_20200619061212.jpg
    微信图片_20200619061212.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 45

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The ability to find a password using Wireshark was removed quite a few firmware versions ago.

Tech21

This is the reason codeplugs should not be password protected. If it's a personal radio, do what ever your heart desires. If it's a customer's radio, it's their choice if they want the codeplug password protected, not the programmer. Do not password protect a codeplug out of malicious intent to get more business from the customer, that's a quick way to piss off a customer and once word spreads and lose their business entirely. I know some of you are guilty of this bullsh*t in an attempt to hold the customer hostage when it comes to programming radios.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I password protect every radio active on our system that is county owned property. While selective inhibit is the first line of defense for lost/stolen/misplaced radios, the password protection is to protect the integrity of the programming from unauthorized persons from making changes, or using a stolen/lost/misplaced radio on another system. Yes, it is not foolproof, but we keep firmware up to date when radios come in for PM checks and retouches.
Recently had a radio lost, picked up by a third party who took it to a pawn shop. Pawn shop ended up selling it on Ebay. Pawn shop wasn't aware radio was lost until the user reported it.

Warrant issued for the one who pawned it for felony theft of lost/mislaid property. Owner contacted by the agency and they returned the stolen radio to agency, who then discovered new owner had programmed or had the radio programmed on other system(s) in another part of the country, so the password read/write protection was obviously circumvented. But it will keep a legitimate shop out as they know, or should know, that a current radio (like an APX6000) with agency markings/tags and current programming is most likely missing/lost/stolen property and not surplus and should at least first reach out to that agency/owner to see if they know it's missing.

any radio we surplus, we clear of all programming and passwords.

a417

U+0000
I password protect every radio active on our system that is county owned property. While selective inhibit is the first line of defense for lost/stolen
We did the same on our system with any radios that an authorized few that were allowed to purchase their own hardware. The paperwork that was signed prior to programming included the agreement that we'd do any programming (they wanted, as long as it was't prohibitively inconvenient or contrary to system programming basics. I'd put in a local ham repeater for a licensed guy but not enabling transmit on the neighboring towns chief's channel, etc), they'd pay for their share of firmware updates, it would stay passworded and selective inhibit enabled and it would be wiped by us at end of employment.

Got a handful of calls over the years by wholesalers who would say "Hey, we have your radio over here and we wanted to give you a call...", so there are some not scummy wholesalers out there.

RadioGuy7268

This is the reason codeplugs should not be password protected. If it's a personal radio, do what ever your heart desires. If it's a customer's radio, it's their choice if they want the codeplug password protected, not the programmer. Do not password protect a codeplug out of malicious intent to get more business from the customer, that's a quick way to piss off a customer and once word spreads and lose their business entirely. I know some of you are guilty of this bullsh*t in an attempt to hold the customer hostage when it comes to programming radios.

Any codeplug that I create is password protected. From reading. I don't care if someone writes over top of my work, but I'm pretty sure that if they didn't take the time to create my codeplug, they should not benefit from my work.

Tech21

Any codeplug that I create is password protected. From reading. I don't care if someone writes over top of my work, but I'm pretty sure that if they didn't take the time to create my codeplug, they should not benefit from my work.

Understandable if you do this on your own personal radios or if you maintain a system owned by your employer. If you work for a radio shop and a customer doesn't specifically want the codeplug password protected and you still do it, you're just an unethical moron.

Reactions: RRR

K2NEC

I don't password protect any of my codeplugs. It's kind of a hassle and if someone were to get the radio anyway, chances are a codeplug password isn't going to stop them.

RadioGuy7268

Understandable if you do this on your own personal radios or if you maintain a system owned by your employer. If you work for a radio shop and a customer doesn't specifically want the codeplug password protected and you still do it, you're just an unethical moron.

Actually, expecting me to 'give up' my intellectual property for free is what's unethical. If you did not pay me to produce a codeplug that could be freely copied - then it's not logical that you should expect to benefit from my labor.

Writing a codeplug that requires a password for reading is not unethical - it is the complete opposite. If someone wants to over-write my work, they can do it freely. If they want to spend the time and trouble to build their own codeplug, I've done nothing to cripple that ability. I've just expected that they would respect the time and trouble that it took me to build the original codeplug. If you don't value that time - then it certainly becomes ridiculous to begin arguing that it would take too much time & trouble to just write your own original codeplug.

RadioGuy7268

As my accountant once told me, your business might be worth a few dollars, but what you know is priceless. Protect your knowledge.

Preventing someone from copying your work is probably the most effective form of copyright protection there is. If you don't think that knowledge is intellectual property, I'm going to guess that you've never been in business for yourself. If you were, I bet it wasn't for very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.