Need help from the pros

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Maybe its me but im really having a hard time tracking what is going on when i have 2-3 scanners going. I have seen pictures in the picture section of peoples setups and i admit im having a tuff time with 3 scanners how do they do it with 16+ radios? :)

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
I'm no scanner pro for sure.
I'm not into this kind of thing but I have guy in my area who is. He's a hispanic business guy from Peru.
Has alot time on his hands. Semi retired. Nice guy too , very freindly and knowledgable.
Only been in house once.
He is a wanna be volunteer fireman and is a Ham. Hoze Keeps one scanner on the local fire dept dispatcher. He keeps cb radior on a cb channel he works contacts on. He has another that 2 meter transceiver scans 2 2meter simplex freqeuncies in his local DX group. If there is some band opening interesting HF radio DX they inform each other. He has another set up as a weather warning radio. He has another dual bander he uses for crossband on a local repeater he can access by a handheld if he steps outside. He has another connected to echolink on his computer. Not to mention he has an 3 HF transceivers and 2 hf amps. But only uses them as backups, one is portable for field day. He has other radios around but I don't think he uses. Just can bring himself to sell them.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's a tried and true talent to be able to copy and understand traffic received randomly,frequently answering the phone and passing that info on to the air,while running drivers lic.info through the state database! Oh and keeping an eye(s) on 18 cctv monitor all while nursing your black coffee! Hence the term,multitasking!:wink:
Yep,it can be done.
n9zas

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Maybe its me but im really having a hard time tracking what is going on when i have 2-3 scanners going. I have seen pictures in the picture section of peoples setups and i admit im having a tuff time with 3 scanners how do they do it with 16+ radios? :)

Maybe it's all about location.
Apples to oranges... (or in your case Big Apple :lol:)

For instance, let's take where you live,Queens... I imagine that your radios are going all the time with Metro NYC being your monitoring area.

I wonder if those other guys are in less denser populated areas, and some of those scanners are just sitting on rarely used services that maybe with some luck, they will be able to snare a transmission.
In other words,some of those radios may be mute for a period of time.

hoser147

In my honest opinion its all about figuring out what works best for you, and alot of tinkering around. I agree with mciupa said about traffic and the amount of it. And then there is selective hearing, (like your other half says and your parents said you got;)). Having speakers Right, Left, Center, up or down for directional sound may be an option. Set your banks to catch Primary incident calls like Fire Dispatch channels and set Tac channels in a different bank. Just play around and decide what works best for you. Enjoy the hobby and keep on tweekin.....

SCPD

QRT
I 100% selective hearing but i have that down pat when my wife is barking at me :) the traffic in my area is HUGE so if i have the local pd on 1 scanner and local fd on another and the 3 just scanning i get lost in what is going on and i wind up shutting 2 down and just leaving one on. The sick thing is that i want more radios then what i have now.

kb2vxa

Banned
Multiple scanners all going at once is bad enough, I'm sure glad polygamy is illegal. I can't imagine my frustration being surrounded by a dozen nagging wives and mothers in law!

Last edited:

FLRAILMAN

Banned
Sexist post & also the attached image shows balding men in a derogotory light.LOL LMAO

FLRAILMAN

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
In my immediate area, law enforcement calls are computer dispatched. So traffic over the air is often of interest and not constant. My typical focus has been fire and CHP. One reason for this is that they are also not constantly chattering.

I change the number of law enforcement channels I am monitoring based on how much is going on. But I keep 2 scanners going and bring out more only for incidents as needed. My biggest reasons for multiple scanners are; they are receiving in different bands, and the way trunked radio systems work.

Status
Not open for further replies.