Need Help Getting Started with my New BCT 15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone, I'm a 14 year old blind boy who loves scanning. I am still very new to all of these forums and everything, so bear with me.
I just got a new BCT 15X, my third scanner, and have no clue where to start. I would like to set the state feature to New York (my state) to begin with, just to make sure it's working, but nowhere in the provided CD does it tell you how to do that! In fact, the CD isn't really all that helpful at all.
After reading some of the CD I see that conventional freqs are discussed as "conventional systems." Does that just refer to all the freqs used by a certain agency, i.e. the 4 freqs used by my local PD, or does it really matter what is designated as a "system"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated-I would love to get this radio up and running while I am on Christmas vacation. Thanks in advance!

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to Radio Reference! It nice to see somebody that is young into the scanner hobby.

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
I've been interested in the hobby for quite some time, since I was in 5th grade. My teacher was a volunteer fireman and I was fascinated by his mobile scanner and pager he carried around. I have also been using RadioReference for many years for the frequency databases and live feeds--great site!

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely give it a shot. I've been reading the "Easier to Read" manual suggested earlier by 737mech and the whole setup of systems, sites, groups, and channels is finally making sense! At least I know I've made a little progress!

Really, though, this whole thing with Uniden's "manuals" is bizzarre! (In my opinion anyway) Uniden has some of the best scanners on the market, but unless you're a scanner pro that has been doing this for many years, you have no clue where to start! My first radio- my Uniden BCT-8- was the same. My teacher at school finally did it for me, as he was a firefighter and knew a lot more about these things than I did.

My GRE PSR-500 has a great manual, and I knew the basics of that radio in a day or two without toiling for hours over it. It shouldn't be that difficult to include at least some sort of startup guide in the box (that's not on CD!).

Status
Not open for further replies.