• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need Help ID-ing Tag Sale Find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattkuhar

hey guys, got this recently from a tag sale for 1 dollar, powers on, has 2 channels programmed (idk what freqs) need some help finding out if its UHF/VHF and the Bandsplit and how many channels its capable of before i decide to use it or ebay it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 610

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
25 watt UHF, either 403-430 or 449-470MHz.
Maxtrac and Radius Mobiles

Determining if it's the 403-430 or 449-470 requires either reading the radio with RSS or opening it up and looking at one of the PC boards.

Likely it's a 449-470, but not guaranteed. 403-430 was a pretty limited market back then, so they tend to be a bit rarer, but not unheard of.

So, what can you do with it?
70CM amateur. It'll take a bit of work to make it go far enough down into the band to be much good.
GMRS, would make a good mobile, but I can't recall if these have the Part 95 certification that makes it legal to use.
A good receiver for UHF stuff, although…
It's probably a wide band radio, which makes it not suitable for any sort of business or public safety use. It'll work as a receiver, but the audio will be a little low.

Looks like it has the 16 pin connector on the back, which is useful for adding some accessories.

If you were to go looking for one of these to buy, you could easily find one for $10 or $20 bucks, if not someone tossing them out. Since the narrow banding mandate hit back in 2013, most of these wide band radios are pretty useless to everyone but the amateur operators or GMRS.

Mattkuhar

yes it does have the 16 pin header on the back. i sure hope its 449-470 for GMRS use :) ill open it after dinner and snap some pics and post em, so i can find out for sure what split it is. how old is this unit roughly? judging by the shape its in id guess late 90's early 00's. WOW!! 32 Channels? thats nice to hear that, ill be looking for some VHF HT1000's soon in a 16 channel (so far around $75 on ebay)

Mattkuhar

im gonna take a guess and say its the GM300? found some software online for free and its listed as GM300 with a pic of what appears to be the same radio i have here. then i gotta get/make a programming cable

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
im gonna take a guess and say its the GM300? found some software online for free and its listed as GM300 with a pic of what appears to be the same radio i have here. then i gotta get/make a programming cable
Nope, not a GM300. The letters would be GMC in the middle if it was a GM300.

You will find model number charts at batlabs.com and repeater-builder.com along with a lot more detailed info that you can figure out from the model number.

FWIW, it is more likely a 8 channel radio and possibly a 16, but unlikely no more.

Study up on all the info on the two sites I gave you. All the answers you seek are already there.

Start here: Motorola MaxTrac / Radius / GM300 Index Page

Mattkuhar

WOW!! thats way older than i was expecting lol. heck if i can figure out for sure which model it is (think im gonna need a way to read it to know for sure) this could be one heck of an excellent buy for a buck

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
More guidance:

Here's your model number broken down:

Model Number Series Pwr Freq Range Modes Options
D34LRA77A5AK M206 25 449-470 6 P,D (TPL & DPL)

Yours is a BK which is not in the chart, but is most likely actually an 8 mode radio.

This page can help more: Radius M100/M206/M208/M214/M216 Model Information

Everything you need is there on repeater-builder.com.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
WOW!! thats way older than i was expecting lol. heck if i can figure out for sure which model it is (think im gonna need a way to read it to know for sure) this could be one heck of an excellent buy for a buck
Did you not read post #8? I gave you specific locations for all the details you need to know.

Mattkuhar

steve, the furthest i found was that it was an M208 or M216. i was also eating at the time so was probably distracted. also didnt find the page you just linked to with the chart on it.

petnrdx

Since it is supposed to be a Radius, max is 16 channels.
But, since it also has a 16 pin logic board, find someone that has Maxtrac-Lab and blank the radio, then re-initialize it as a Maxtrac-High-Signalling, and you can make it into a 32 channel.
Sometimes you have to change the firmware to Maxtrac ver 5 and higher, but often the Radius firmware above about ver 18 will support the Maxtrac.
Ya' just gotta try it if you want those extra 16 channels.
The Radius line was a "lower tier" radio, so they would not let them have more than 16 channels.
Had to do with the Motorola shops vs. dealers sort of thing.
And most were between 2 and 8 channels.

Mattkuhar

well, i just opened her up, and noticed my RF Board isnt on the list. mine is HLE4425B but the one on the list says HLE4425A. is this something significant? im still new to all this stuff please bear with me

Mattkuhar

ive been looking online all night and everywhere i look says the programming software for this radio is discontinued. that being said, does anybody know where i can locate a copy of it still? i am aware i will also need an old slow computer to run it under DOS.

@petnrdx - i wasnt aware that could be done :) more channels is better in my book.

Skooter92

Premium Subscriber
Well.....

Matt- the marking means that the RF board band split would be 449 to 470 mHz. Just that. Before you rush to get yourself set up to program the radio, have someone make sure it's still any good ($1 specials tend to be "special", especially when sold "as-is"), and ask around to see if someone can program it for you...might be cheaper and easier unless you're planning to do a lot of reprogramming or purchase more units that will require the same setup.

N4KVE

About 15 months ago, when narrow banding became law, you could go to the dumpster behind any 2 way radio shop & find pallet loads of similar radios. Useless for business band, but OK for ham. Years ago I used a similar 450-470 radio, & while it was great in the business band, the rx was weak in the ham band. about .5 microvolts at 442 mhz. Good for local repeaters, but not so great for distant ones. Fun to play with, but I wouldn't invest any money into it.

Mattkuhar

now the question is, is there anybody reading this thats fairly local to me that could program it for me before i try to find the software/cable for it? at some point i very well may have several of these installed into friends vehicles who want them.

Status
Not open for further replies.