Need help in choosing a dual band antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBlueEyes579

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I am in search of a dual band antenna. Mind you im not very knowledgeable in this area.
The ones that I have seen only transmit and receive 2m and 70cm. Now im planning on buying a dual band ham radio soon. I don’t know if im going to modify it or not considering the cost of the radio and if I do modify it I don’t want to break it and void the warranty. I do know that your not supposed to transmit out of the ham band if you are not authorized. Im in public safety and want better interoperability with the other agencies that I work with. I would like to get an antenna that transmits and receives 108.0000 MHz to 520.0000 MHz. I just have a few concerns. I would like to buy a dual band antenna that as stated before transmit those frequencies. If I buy a dual band antenna that only transmits 2m and 70 cm and I modify the ham radio will I get the same reception and transmit power if I were to get an antenna that transmits and receives 108.0000MHz to 520.0000MHz? I just don’t want to ruin a nice radio if I get the wrong antenna. Any thoughts comments, suggestions are gladly welcome.

Thanks

Andrew

n4yek

This is going to get a whole lot of replies.
Basically Ham radios are not FCC approved to transmit out of the ham bands. Especially for Fire/EMS/Law enforcement frequencies.
Those freqs need type accepted radios authorized to transmit on them.
There have been many threads on this issue, do a search on the database and you will see what i am talking about.
Big arguments on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.