Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

Is it working now? This is what is showing on screen:

safetyobc@ubuntu:~$ dsd -fr
Digital Speech Decoder 1.4.1
mbelib version 1.2.3
Decoding only DMR/MOTOTRBO frames.
Audio In/Out Device: /dev/audio

Does this mean it is looking for info or should something else be on screen?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Is it working now? This is what is showing on screen:

safetyobc@ubuntu:~$ dsd -fr
Digital Speech Decoder 1.4.1
mbelib version 1.2.3
Decoding only DMR/MOTOTRBO frames.
Audio In/Out Device: /dev/audio

Does this mean it is looking for info or should something else be on screen?

That's pretty much what it would look like with no signal present. If an actual TRBO signal is present, you should be seeing a lot of other things "spewing" down the screen. If you do not, then something is amiss.

Mike

safetyobc

That's pretty much what it would look like with no signal present. If an actual TRBO signal is present, you should be seeing a lot of other things "spewing" down the screen. If you do not, then something is amiss.

Mike

Alright, now I'm cooking.

I got the following:

Sync: +DMR MOD: GFSK inlvl: 28% [slot0] [slot1] slot idle
Sync: +DMR mod: C4FM inlvl: 35% [slot0] [slot1] slot idle
Sync: +DMR MOD: GFSK inlvl: 28% [slot0] [slot1] RATE 3/4 DATA

All this is scrolling randomly.

I hear nothing when data is like this. But when I type -xr I get simiar info except after SLOT1 I see VOIC e:=====E====E==== or e:=====E====R=====

And audio is garbled (which I honestly don't think is the agency transmitting voice)

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Alright, now I'm cooking.

I got the following:

Sync: +DMR MOD: GFSK inlvl: 28% [slot0] [slot1] slot idle
Sync: +DMR mod: C4FM inlvl: 35% [slot0] [slot1] slot idle
Sync: +DMR MOD: GFSK inlvl: 28% [slot0] [slot1] RATE 3/4 DATA

Looks good. System idle (as far as audio goes). GPS data and/or text data present.

I hear nothing when data is like this. But when I type -xr I get simiar info except after SLOT1 I see VOIC e:=====E====E==== or e:=====E====R=====

And audio is garbled (which I honestly don't think is the agency transmitting voice)

Drives me nuts too. Amazing how non-audio can be seen as audio when using the -xr and played well enough that it sounds like garbled voice. As you've found out, it isn't the agency transmitting voice - and in this case isn't actual audio being transmitted on the system. It's a result of running -xr when you shouldn't be. Drove me crazy for days before i figured this out.

Of course, with that said, I'm not sure what the audio would sound like if they were using privacy on the system. With one of the privacy options on, I don't know if DSD would decode the audio but play it funky or not. [such as when a scanner plays encrypted audio]

Mike

IC301

Which Scanners will _correctly_ Trunktrack (and _NOT_ decode) Provoice for D-Tapping

I have a new GRECOM PSR-500C (1 week old) and would like to buy a second Scanner to D-Tap it instead of violating the Warranty on a $680 Radio (they cost more in Canada).

Most popular local Channels use "EDACS (probably ESK) with a 9600 baud control channel and Provoice" is my understanding. If I can't listen to Provoice Channels there is not much to hear in my area.

I have tried UniTrunker and it seems to work with the PSR-500C directly from the USB Cable (no D-Tap needed). When I Scan I get Window after Window opening and it seems to produce copious amounts of sensilble output. The Unitacker DOCs say it works and it seems to, so no D-Tap needed on one of the Scanners.

Should I assume that a LOT of the Channels are not encrypted (or at least the Control Channels are not) and it would be worthwhile D-Tapping a second Scanner and trying DSD ?

I would like to D-Tap a second (cheaper) Scanner and run DSD. I have DSD compiled and it plays the example '.imb' files quite well (sounds like they are in a Restroom !?!). Provoice samples for DSD: http://forums.radioreference.com/at...7959-dsd-1-3-mbelib-1-2-released-provoice.zip

The local Stores have a poor selection of Scanners. My choices for a second Scanner are:

1. GRECOM PSR-400 $229.99
Grecom TRIPLE TRUNKING BASE/MOBILE SCANNER PSR400 | Scanners | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

2. Uniden BCT8 $339.99
Uniden BCT8 Trunk Tracker III Base Scanner | Scanners | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

3. Uniden BCT346XT $399.99
Uniden BC346XT Bearcat Scanner with Trunk Tracker III | Scanners | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

4. or another GRECOM PSR-500C $599.99
Grecom PSR500C Digital Trunking Handheld Scanner | Scanners | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

My questions are:

1. Which of the above (first 3) Scanners will stop Scanning when they hit a EDACS Provoice Channel (the GRECOM PSR500C used to do that with older Firmware but the currect Firmware has disabled that feature) ?

This Forum says the Pro 92 will stop Scanning when it hits a Provoice Channel:
http://forums.radioreference.com/fl...-decoded-dsd-1-3-palm-bay-fl.html#post1311064

> saber2k5
> The Pro 92 does indeed stop on PV and even displays the TGID.

2. Am I better off just to get another GRECOM PSR500C (so I have two - easier to clone, less to learn) and not worry about it stopping on a Provoice Channel, just open the Squelch on the Control Channel ?

(I hate to D-Tap a $680 Scanner, I wish DSD could take the 'audio output' for Provoice -- "dsd -fp -s" gives great looking output from the earphone jack but "dsd -fp" does not work, a D-Tap is required the way the Decoder is written).

3. As far as I know most Channels are Digital Trunking (around here) so the PSR-400 would not be very versitile (since it is Analog). Would I be better off with the Uniden BCT346XT (my Country's "Top of the Line" non-PSR500C; so I have versitility) instead of the much cheaper GRECOM PSR-400 or would either be just as good for a second D-Tapped Scanner to be used to drive the DSD Program (and hear Provoice (in the "clear" only)) ?

4. Should I instead go look at EBay.ca or import a specific model from the US as that would provide even better results ?

5. Other advice ?

6. Has anyone had success setting up DSD in a 'two Scanner configuration' (one D-Tapped for Audio and the other USB-Cabled for Unitracker) for "Provoice Trunktracking", what has worked for you ?

Thanks !

mel1718

As far as I know the only scanner that will track provoice is the PSR-500 with the older fimware, I have the older pro92 and it will stop on TGs but will not stay there, it is not useable.

What I did was picked up a couple of old scanners off of e-bay, a pro 2050 ($35) and a pro 2052 ($50). I tapped them both and connected them to a laptop and a net book.

One of the scanners needs to be computer controlled (2052) its tap goes to the net book audio in running DSD, the 2052 DB9 is connected to the laptop with a DB9 to USB converter.

The 2050 tap goes to the laptop audio in running unitrunker, it provides the control channel data and unitrunker tells the 2052 what channel to go to.

I bought and tapped a pro106 thinking that I needed a digital scanner to be able to decode provoice, turns out a couple of older scanner and laptops do the trick, one thing that I found is that I needed a good strong clean signal going into DSD to get good decodes. I put up a good yagi and it made a big difference.

Before you go through all the trouble make sure the system you are trying to get is not encrypted.

Good Luck!

SCPD

QRT
I have tried UniTrunker and it seems to work with the PSR-500C directly from the USB Cable (no D-Tap needed). When I Scan I get Window after Window opening and it seems to produce copious amounts of sensilble output. The Unitacker DOCs say it works and it seems to, so no D-Tap needed on one of the Scanners.

Don't scan. Park the radio on the control channel using either TSYS/Analyze or Tune.

IC301

Thanks for your replies.

> mel1718
> As far as I know the only scanner that will track provoice is the PSR-500 with the older fimware,
> I have the older pro92 and it will stop on TGs but will not stay there, it is not useable.

We have new Stock in these parts, my PSR-500 came with 1.7 and it is not downgradable (that far).
Thanks for the tip on the Pro-92. Maybe I will have to buy a few off Ebay and park them on each Control.

> ... a pro 2050 ($35) and a pro 2052 ($50). ... a couple of older scanner and laptops do the trick ...
According to this Thread I'll need at least a 2052 for EDACS (does it do ESK also): http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/22687-pro-2050-a.html

or does it not matter since I am using Unitrunker and DSD (and not relying on the Scanner's brain) ?

> Before you go through all the trouble make sure the system you are trying to get is not encrypted.
People out here are Techno-Weenies, even the Bus Drivers use OpenSky (and live video) ! I'll have to listen to whatever I can. It sure would be cool to decode the Video and see onboard the Buses.

I bought the PSR-500 because I found DOCs for it's CPU and DSP so I expect that I will be able to hack the Firmware (with a year or two worth of work). Uniden seems to use proprietary components so that was a factor in my choice. I still have three weeks to return it but I would prefer not to.

> Unitrunker
> Don't scan. Park the radio on the control channel using either TSYS/Analyze or Tune.
Thanks. It was getting hundreds of Windows opening :( .
I imagine you mean that _I_ should "park" the Scanner on a Control Channel (and that "Park" in the Menu should be set to an unused (no carrier ever) Channel - for the Program to rest on).

I'm using your DOCs, various Tips in the Forums, stuff I Googled for and some guessin' -- may be a while before I figure it out.

(Understatement of the Decade:) This Scanner is more complex that the one I had 20 years ago.

I'm just HAPPY Unitrunker does something since that means I probably will not have to Tap it and as time passes more support will come for the PSR-500 in Unitrunker and other Programs (including actual homebrew Firmware).

Thanks you two, more answers (from others) for #6 welcome.

SCPD

QRT
or does it not matter since I am using Unitrunker and DSD (and not relying on the Scanner's brain) ?
pretty much.

It was getting hundreds of Windows opening :( .
I imagine you mean that _I_ should "park" the Scanner on a Control Channel (and that "Park" in the Menu should be set to an unused (no carrier ever) Channel - for the Program to rest on).
Yes. If you have no need for P25, return the '500. Buy two 310's instead (should be same or similar processor). Tap one of them. Configure one radio as Inline in signal role. Provoice should be off. Chase and sitelock should be on. Configure second (tapped) radio as control. Check provoice to enable sending provoice calls to that radio.

Search the Florida forum and the audio feeds forum for comments from users.

Budget-wise, mel's suggestion is the way to go.

Last edited:

rma0100

Mototrbo install

Like a lot of us here I am new to MOTOTRBO installation and operation. I have a LINUX computer coming tomorrow and I'll be doing the installation soon. I have seen the step by step installations and printed them. I have a nice clean discriminator signal and the overall transmission is full quieting.

The sound card is on the MB of this computer and I don't know what it is yet. Does anyone know what is the best SC to use?

I see a lot of talk about recording and then .WAV playback. Is this the only way or can I listen live.

Any replies will be very appreciated by this newbie to moto

NT1K

Just want to throw my observations into the mix.

I've installed DSD on following two computers.

Computer 1:
Mobo: Chaintech SKT600
CPU: AMD Athalon XP 2200 + (1.8ghz single core)
Audio: Onboard 6ch analog audio (AC 97 Audio Codec)
Video: ATI Radeon 9200
Mem: 2G DDR333

Computer 2:
Mobo: ASUS M4A79 Deluxe
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 (3.2ghz Quad Core) 64bit
Audio: Realtek® ALC1200 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
Mem: 4gb DDR2 1066

I've got DSD to run on both system. On Computer 1 it sounds great. couldn't ask for anything better. I even made a video to show that it's possible

YouTube - DSD decoding APCO25 signals

However on Computer 2, DSD can see the data but comes out in bits and pieces that are unintelligible. I am very new to digital and as well as linux. after messing around for a bit I want to believe that it has something to do with the on-board audio. I tried maxing out the settings on alsamixer instead of ubuntu's gnome based mixer with no luck.

Since computer 2 is my main computer I would like for DSD to work properly on it. So If anyone information that can help me, it would be great because at this point I am stuck and thinking about setting up VNC on computer 1.

Any help would be great, thanks!

rma0100

DSD/Mototrbo sound card problem

I have successfully installed DSD but when I launch it the error message is:

couldn't open /dev/audio

I assume that this means it can't find my sound card which is built onto the mother board. The sound card does work but it'es old. Can someone suggest a fix or a better PCI based sound card?

Thanks in advance

ilgrant

Does it play any audio at all? Perhaps a video or CD or any type of sound clip.

Is DSD the only program running? Any program that uses the soundcard may block DSD from accessing it.

NT1K

I have successfully installed DSD but when I launch it the error message is:

couldn't open /dev/audio

I assume that this means it can't find my sound card which is built onto the mother board. The sound card does work but it'es old. Can someone suggest a fix or a better PCI based sound card?

Thanks in advance

I Found that on Ubuntu (Not sure about any other linux based OS) that once a device/software is using the audio port (even though it's not currently playing audio), It will lock out DSD. Make sure everything is closed. even the sound control panel.

Another issue I had on another computer is that I had multiple soundcards. So I had to tell DSD which soundcard to use on the input.

In ubuntu type "aplay -l" (Without Quotes -l is lower case L)
You will see where you soundcard(s) are located. DSD defaults to CARD 0 . So if your sound card is not 0 then you have to tell DSD which sound card your using for input and output

http://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/2011/03_w13/t437214/Aplay-l.png

So instead of typing DSD, I typed "dsd -i /dev/audio2 -o /dev/audio2" (without quotes)

I've installed DSD on 5 computers now. I notice that it works best with sound cards that used the AC97 Codec. Soundblaster cards have mixed results.

rma0100

DSD loud and clear. here's what worked for me

DSD Loud and clear.

I have been working on DSD for well over 100 hours now and I have it running quite well. The command aplay -l was of great help in determining what sound card I have and the other commands in the post were a real insight into troubleshooting sound errors.

I cannot test DSD on PRO VOICE because that technology in not currently in use where I live in TN. There are a few APCO signals and DSD does a wonderful job in decoding them with perfect audio and identifies them as phase 1 and provides the correct NAC. I have also noticed that the faster and smoother the data scrolling, the better everythi9ng else works. Get it scrolling well before moving on to the rest of the endeavor.

My reception of MOTOTRBO is better than ever with only sound errors on cruiser inputs. They seem to be over modulating (and generate a sound error E=======R) as well. The voice is much louder than the dispatcher who does NOT generate a sound error in the data files. As well, the system sold by Motorola is not winning the praise of the Police department using it. There are frequent missed transmissions and the comment by the dispatcher yesterday was "Today is the worst day for the radio system".

I have found that the better your RF input signal, the better DSD works. This is quite true in many digital transmissions including satellite TV and APCO 25 and more. Initially I had a pre-amp on the system (20 dB) and another Police department operating on the same frequency was causing a "un identifying burst" error in the scrolling files. Eliminating that pre-amp eliminated the bursts. I am using the following equipment:

DELL D610 computer Laptop.
Radio Shack PRO 50 with the discriminator tap which is 4 V p-p. A bit high I think
DSD ver 1.2.
MBELIB ver 1.2.1
UBUNTU 10.04 LTS

Audio input threshold set at 50%. I think this is dependent on your discriminator input level. As I mentioned, mine was measured with my calibrated Tektronix 2246 O-Scope and at 4 V p-p.

I have tried all other versions of DSD and MBELIB and have had the best success with the above. UBUNTU 10.10 does NOT WORK for me. It will NOT identify the sound card.

Hope this helps other members. Please feel free to email me at rma0100@gmail.com. If I can help you by email or phone I will be happy to. Digital is the future!!!!!

jje64

problem with Ubuntu 11 and DSD

I followed the instructions in Post #16 of this thread. The mbelib seemed to load just fine. When I used the commands for loading DSD I get the following errors:

dsd_main.o: In function `noCarrier':
dsd_main.c:(.text+0x2ae): undefined reference to `mbe_initMbeParms'
dsd_main.o: In function `initState':
dsd_main.c:(.text+0x966): undefined reference to `mbe_initMbeParms'
dsd_main.o: In function `main':
dsd_main.c:(.text.startup+0x42): undefined reference to `mbe_printVersion'
dsd_frame.o: In function `processFrame':
dsd_frame.c:(.text+0x71f): undefined reference to `mbe_initMbeParms'
dsd_frame.c:(.text+0x961): undefined reference to `mbe_initMbeParms'
dsd_frame.c:(.text+0xab8): undefined reference to `mbe_initMbeParms'
dsd_mbe.o: In function `playMbeFiles':
dsd_mbe.c:(.text+0xb2): undefined reference to `mbe_initMbeParms'
dsd_mbe.c:(.text+0x153): undefined reference to `mbe_processImbe4400Dataf'
dsd_mbe.c:(.text+0x24d): undefined reference to `mbe_processAmbe2250Dataf'
dsd_mbe.o: In function `processMbeFrame':
dsd_mbe.c:(.text+0x30c): undefined reference to `mbe_processAmbe3600x2250Framef'
dsd_mbe.c:(.text+0x38a): undefined reference to `mbe_processImbe7100x4400Framef'
dsd_mbe.c:(.text+0x42c): undefined reference to `mbe_processImbe7200x4400Framef'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [dsd] Error 1

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks
jje64

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
I'm noticing that the latest Linux/source versions of mbelib is 1.2.3 while the latest version of DSD is 1.4, following the links from the Wiki here, but I notice that the Windows ported versions are based on mbelib 1.2.4 and DSD 1.6.0 beta... is there a way to get these newer versions for Linux? Is there a better repository for these programs?

ruckman

Premium Subscriber
Linux Mint 14 DSD lib fix / pulse audio

I had trouble getting dsd to run on Linux Mint:

DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=14
DISTRIB_CODENAME=nadia
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 14 Nadia"

Error:

dsd: error while loading shared libraries: libmbe.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I fixed it with the following command:

sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libmbe.so.1 /usr/lib/libmbe.so.1

Versions:

Digital Speech Decoder 1.6.0
mbelib version 1.2.5

You can also suspend pulseaudio using the folling command to launch dsd:

pasuspender -- dsd

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.