BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Need help locating serial to usb cable for BCD996xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
My friend has an old BCD996XT scanner. It looks like it uses a similar programming cable that the BCT15X uses, but none of our computers have serial ports (9 pin). The BCD996XT has a programming cable which has a USB connector on one end and a 9 pin serial connector on other. Can someone recommend a 9 pin serial to usb adapter cable that will work with this radio? I searched on amazon but product descriptions rather vague.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
My friend has an old BCD996XT scanner. It looks like it uses a similar programming cable that the BCT15X uses, but none of our computers have serial ports (9 pin). The BCD996XT has a programming cable which has a USB connector on one end and a 9 pin serial connector on other. Can someone recommend a 9 pin serial to usb adapter cable that will work with this radio? I searched on amazon but product descriptions rather vague.

Here is the USB-1 cable that plugs into the little serial (not USB) connector on the front of the BCT15X/BCD996XT:

For programming and remote control, you can also use the DB9 on the back of the scanner. (The serial on the front *must* be used for firmware updates.) If you want to go that route, here's a cable that works:

N9JIG

Sheriff
Buddrousa is correct, go to Best Buy, Amazon or WalMart and get a USB-Serial adapter and you can use the existing 9-pin cable you have.

The direct USB-1 cable has been unavailable for months and there is no clue as to when it might be available again.

merlin

I use a genuine FTDI USB to RS232 cable between the computer and the stock BCT15 cable.
It works flawlessly.
What I don't know is if the BCD996XT and BCT15 use the same cable, but believe it does.
I have had bad luck with the USB to RS232 cables that use Cyprus drivers (usually made in China) so I suggest any cable with the genuine FTDI chipset. What of those I have work well.
They do have a USB to Uniden cable, RF guys carried them, but possibly out of stock.
( I misplaced mine) but it worked also.

Last edited:

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
I use the Micro Connectors E07-160 USB to Serial Adapter with my BCD996XT and a Windows 10 workstation. It is used with the Uniden serial cable.
The Uniden USB-1 cable does not work with my Windows 10 workstation although it does work with my Windows 7 laptop.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I use the Micro Connectors E07-160 USB to Serial Adapter with my BCD996XT and a Windows 10 workstation. It is used with the Uniden serial cable.
The Uniden USB-1 cable does not work with my Windows 10 workstation although it does work with my Windows 7 laptop.

I use it with Windows 10 with no problems.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I use it with Windows 10 with no problems.

There is more than one version of the USB-1. Why they did not differentiate it using an "USB-1A" or "USB-2" I do not know.

I asked about that, but was told it is not worth the change at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.