need help new to..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patmcc

I recently decided to try some new things like receiving NOAA sat images however i can not get the signal very strong if any i followed a guide on building an ANT for this and have tried a scanner pro2046 , and BCT8 and also have at my disposal an ICOM IC-2100 what would be my best setup?

SCPD

QRT
Ok the first thing that you need to do is download a good sat tracking program. Next you need to download a Wxsat processing program I use Wxtoming its free! Now for an antenna I use a Quadrifiler I will provide a link here for you, you can build one easily and is the best antenna that is circular polarized.Next you will need a scanner receiver that has been modified with filters to account for the dopler shift. I use a Multifax Wxsat reciever that works great. And last you should add a signal pre-amplifier to prevent signal fade during the pass when processing the image. I just removed my antenna and have stored all my equipment away because I kinda lost interest in the hobby so if your interested I may be putting my equipment up for sale so PM me if you are interested.On good days I can process false color realtime images during passes from South Florida all the way up into Canada from my location!

Quadrifilar helicoidal antenna - Introduction

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I recently decided to try some new things like receiving NOAA sat images however i can not get the signal very strong if any i followed a guide on building an ANT for this and have tried a scanner pro2046 , and BCT8 and also have at my disposal an ICOM IC-2100 what would be my best setup?

One other thing have you programed the right freqs for the sats you are trying to receive? Is your antenna outdoors? During a 60-80 degree pass you should have no problem hearing them at their max elevation. These sats do have a very strong signal at max elevation. You will hear the unmistakable tic toc tic toc with a carrier signal tone.

Patmcc

i can hear 17 19 18 i have interferance @ my location for 15 signal average is 3 to 7 on the Icom 2100 that i am using as the receiver i also decided on using a preamp which being my wife wouldnt allow any funding for this project i took apart an old TV amplified ant stole the guts did some mods and cased it all this greatly improved my signal but added some noise that i didnt want i will try and catch an actual image tonight and see how it goes

Thx for the help
Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.