need help... NMO antenna to SO 239 mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joehawth

KB1RRG
Hi all,

I want to replace an antenna my father lost during our recent halloween snowstorm on his car.
He had a Comet 2m/440 dual band antenna with a PL 259 stud going to an adjustable SO 239 universal lip mount. A branch flew out of a dump truck and cracked his antenna in half one day after the storm.
For a replacement, I'd like to get him the same antenna as me, the TRAM model 1180 sm/440 antenna. At less than half the price of competitors, it's a great antenna with impressive capabilities.
The only downfall is its NMO only, which is fine for me because I personally love NMO mounts, but for my father, who is happy with his universal lip mount that he switches vehicles with.

So my question is, who makes an adapter to go from a NMO antenna to a SO 239 mount? Does such a thing exist?

Other ideas welcome.

thanks and merry christmas!
KB1RRG

KJ6HCB

Other way around exists, but nothing like you want that I know of, and not recommended because the NMO is larger than the S0239, meaning it would put a lot of load on it.

joehawth

KB1RRG
i was afraid so, I think I'll buy a cheap NMO lip mount and his fancy adjustable lip mount can be used on his pickup, this one can live permanently on his car.
thanks again
joe

mrweather

Larsen at one time made an NMO to SO239 adaptor. It basically consisted of a thick brass ring with inner threads for SO239 mounts and outer threads for NMO antennas, and a sliver plated pin insert for the SO239 "fingers".

The online catalogue lists it as part # A4 and it's called a "BSA/BA/SO-239 to NMO mount adapter".

n0nhp

I wasn't fast enough, There is your answer ;-)

Larsen used to sell an adapter, I have a couple in my go-kit. It is a chrome ring that screwed down on the SO-239 and a pin that goes into the hole.
No I don't want to sell them ;-)
I don't know the part number and I found the new Larsen catalog online and don't see any of the adapters they used to sell.
If you have a radio shop in the area that has been around a while, they may have some new/old stock left. Otherwise get a NMO mount kit and put it in the mount.
(I even have the adapter for the other way so I can put a dummy load on the roof to check the coax.)

Bruce

Last edited:

jhooten

The other thing they are good for is if you need an MNO on a thick metal surface. With a UHF feed through and the adapter you can put your NMO antenna through the hull of an APC.

KJ6HCB

The other thing they are good for is if you need an MNO on a thick metal surface. With a UHF feed through and the adapter you can put your NMO antenna through the hull of an APC.

Scary, IMO. Laird makes a thick mount NMO that you can mount thru surfaces up to about two inches thick.

joehawth

KB1RRG

that's a good idea. I had that problem a while back, so i bought the Larsen NMOKHFCXTHK, great mount that im very happy with

Status
Not open for further replies.