Need Help on Buying first rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

altopcat

Ok here is the dilemma the rig I like is the Icom 718 for my first rig. I also have the opportunity to buy the ICOM IC-746PRO at a good price. The difference is that the IC-746 Pro has 2 meter as well as 6m and built in antenna tuner. As a newbie I am confused as to were I would have the most fun and use. Some say the 2 meter band is best to start other claim the 10 meter is the way to go. I figured the IC-746 can do both at a bit more money. Any insight would be appreciated thanks in advance for the help.

N8IAA

What is your license class? Tech, Gen, Extra??? That will dictate what frequencies you are allowed on. I would go with the 746 since it has 6m and 2m. If you only have a tech, get a good dual band, or quad band radio such as the Yaesu 8900. Being that this question is asked almost weekly on this forum, why not do a search and see what has been talked about. Another good suggestion is to talk to the hams at a local club. They will steer you in the right direction to begin your radio fun:)
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.