Need help on programming cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

webbkr

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and a recent buyer of a Uniden BCD396T, used, of course. All seems to be well with the scanner, however I did buy a programming cable from eBay. The cable has the correct connectors on each, but has no inline chipset.

I attempted to use the Freescan software, but I get the error message "Cannot find Com port 1":.

Is this because this cable features no chipset, or do I need to dig further in the computer setup to configure the com port?

By the way, the laptop I'm using is a Windows 8 machine.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Ken

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No chipset? Makes no sense - then it's likely not a USB-serial cable...without seeing the URL and cable it's nearly impossible to tell.

Read these threads from another forum...(links are always blue)

http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...2-windows-8-8-1-usb-programming-problems.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...0251-usb-serial-adapter-windows-8-thread.html

and there is some info in our wiki as well ...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

In the Generic USB section, read the article linked as 'USB Cables and Drivers for XP, Vista, Win7 and Win8', and go down to the bottom for additional information

Unfortunately Win 8 / 8.1 really made it tough. Highly oversimplified, a lot of folks seem to have to ignore the Win8 drivers and revert to earlier versions.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'd suggest calling the supplier. I didn't see a tab to download any drivers during my quick look at the URL. That's what you need to create a 'COM' port that software like FreeScan will recognize.

Otherwise, no drivers, no COM port (unless you get a plug and pray...ooops, plug and play cable that windoze is supposed to recognize).....read on, McDuff...Mike

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Cable problem

The official Uniden cable has a small rectangular box in the middle with the electronics to change the USB signal to RS232. The cable shown on ebay looks like a standard USB cable without any of the required electronics.

webbkr

Looks like I'll be returning the cable and ordering the proper one - with chipset!

Thanks much to all who replied. I appreciate the help.

Regards,
Ken

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The cable he is selling will not work with any scanner. I posted this information to him as a question on the listing a few minutes ago.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Looks like I'll be returning the cable and ordering the proper one - with chipset!

Thanks much to all who replied. I appreciate the help.

Regards,
Ken
See this thread from back in the summer.
http://forums.radioreference.com/un...party-usb-prgraming-cable-not-showing-up.html

Different seller name on eBay (link is in the first post), but the descriptions and price are remarkably similar to the eBay link you posted. That cable did not work either. It's just a USB cable, not a USB to Serial converter, or a programming cable like Uniden's USB-1.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

With you using Windows 8, I recommend that you speak with the seller and confirm it has the HXD chipset. Some of the older USB-1 cable use the HXA chipset which doesn't get along with Windows 8 without a lot of fussing.

Also, and you'll see this on the cable when you get it, but it cannot be emphasized too much: download and install the cable drivers before you connect the cable. You'll avoid headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.