Need Help Picking a Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreySpooner65

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for a radio or scanner to replace my Radioshack PRO-something scanner. It's a great scanner, but it's big and I'd like to be able to monitor seperate banks simultaneously. I monitor several public safety frequencies.

This has led me to find several radios that have dual radios. I'll need U/U, V/V, and U/V functionality, but that doesn't seem like it'd be an issue.

I've been looking at the following radios, and am looking for some input.

BTech UV-50x3
Icom IC-2730a
Icom ID-5100
Alinco DR-735T
Yaeso FTM-400

My needs are pretty much limited to scanning, but I could see myself getting interested in HAM operation down the road. The reason for the change from my current scanner is because it doesn't fit anywhere in my new truck, and I'd like to have multiple radios for better control and monitoring of large incidents (wildfires, etc). Remote mount option is also a necessity for me. Dual external speaker output would be great, or at least the ability to hear both with independent volume control. A clear, preferably uncluttered, readout and alphanumerics are needed too.

Are there better options out there or do I just need to pick one? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
These radios listed are all Amateur Radio transceivers for which a license is necessary to transmit. Therefore, study for your Amateur Radio license, take the test. And note these radios cannot be used to transmit on public safety frequencies. Now you don't mention your area, or what mode, nor the frequencies the public safety departments are on. As you mention Icom and Yaesu, to get best value out of them you will require D-Star or Fusion repeaters in your area. These radios are a little more complicated than some non digital radios. After getting your amateur radio license, you might be interested in APRS thus the Kenwood D710 might be of interest.

Encouraging proper use of two-way radio spectrum including CB.

TreySpooner65

Premium Subscriber
These radios listed are all Amateur Radio transceivers for which a license is necessary to transmit. Therefore, study for your Amateur Radio license, take the test. And note these radios cannot be used to transmit on public safety frequencies. Now you don't mention your area, or what mode, nor the frequencies the public safety departments are on. As you mention Icom and Yaesu, to get best value out of them you will require D-Star or Fusion repeaters in your area. These radios are a little more complicated than some non digital radios. After getting your amateur radio license, you might be interested in APRS thus the Kenwood D710 might be of interest.

Encouraging proper use of two-way radio spectrum including CB.
I'm in California and all but one frequency is in the 150s, the other is a 460 EMS frequency.

As of right now, I don't transmit at all, I just like the functionality of the units and they happen to be transceivers. No one makes a really good scanner with a remote mount option (I've seen the Uniden remote head.)

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I've been looking at the following radios, and am looking for some input.

BTech UV-50x3
Icom IC-2730a
Icom ID-5100
Alinco DR-735T
Yaeso FTM-400

The Yaesu FTM-400 is an amateur radio with great scanning functionality. I have four of them - two in vehicles and two in ham shacks. The display of the FTM-400 is probably the best I've ever seen... a large and bright, easy-to-see, multi-color touch-screen with lots of information - including frequency and alpha tags (at the same time), volume levels and receive indications. Scanning speed is very good. Several on-screen touch controls are user-configurable.

Since the FTM-400 has two separate banks of memory channels, I scan the ham channels in one bank and public safety frequencies in the other. The FTM-400 also has digital capability on Yaesu's version of C4FM FDMA, but I like them more for their analog features.

If you decide to get your ham license (technician=easy), the FTM-400 will serve you well since it also has GPS and APRS capabilities built-in. Of course, none of the radios you mention will follow trunked radio systems, but perhaps that is not a concern for you.

John - AC4JK

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The Kenwood TM-V71 gives a good true dual receive. (The V71 and the D710 have the same main body.)

This is assuming you want to stick with a mobile/base model.

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.