Need help programming a BC796D to Phila Project 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

NUGEN

I am using Arc 250 software and have not been able to get this scanner to pick anything up. Ive tried several ways. I first loaded all frequencies then just control channels, using band plan 1 and tried 4. Nothing works...has anyone had any luck with this or can give me any insight whether it would work? Have alot of friends with these and would love to help them out as well. Any help is greatly appreciated!

phillydjdan

You are out of luck, that model will not be able to track the new system. You have to upgrade to a 996T or 996XT or later model.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
You are out of luck, that model will not be able to track the new system. You have to upgrade to a 996T or 996XT or later model.
Well, I'm in the same boat however I also have a 396T and a 396XT with ARC software could you possibly go through the steps for reprogramming them. Thanks in advance!

phillydjdan

Theo,

Well, I have a premium subscription on here, so I simply did a web import using the software, changed the TG alpha tags to how I wanted them, then uploaded it right into the scanner. If you don't have a premium subscription, you would have to enter the frequencies, settings, and TGs manually.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
Theo,

Well, I have a premium subscription on here, so I simply did a web import using the software, changed the TG alpha tags to how I wanted them, then uploaded it right into the scanner. If you don't have a premium subscription, you would have to enter the frequencies, settings, and TGs manually.
I have Premium also, The problem is the settings: 396T is different than 396XT. The T do I have it set to Type 2 800 meg Custom ? Is the bandplan rebanded button hit to set that up? Next the XT System set to P25 Standard ? What is that band plan set to ? Thats basically where i'm stuck on the settings for systems and bandplan for both.

copterdriver

Premium Subscriber
Well, I'm in the same boat however I also have a 396T and a 396XT with ARC software could you possibly go through the steps for reprogramming them. Thanks in advance!

With the 396T go to Uniden's site and download the free scanner director I believe it USD396. Using that all you need to do is program a new system using the P25 trunk option. Put the freqs in and use custom table to enter the 4 base freqs. Then program talk groups. You will have to make two separate systems for system 1 and system 2. That's all you need to do and it'll work fine.

NUGEN

Dan, I respect your advice and opinions, however, I would ask for a specific reason of why this system doesn't work with the BC796D. I have it programmed and loaded with the talkgroups and frequencies but it isn't working.

NUGEN

I did and not luck....I get the NFM and DAT signal coming across, does that mean it's receiving the frequency? I also get a "Ctrl Ch Only Not Found" error soon.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Dan, I respect your advice and opinions, however, I would ask for a specific reason of why this system doesn't work with the BC796D. I have it programmed and loaded with the talkgroups and frequencies but it isn't working.

I did and not luck....I get the NFM and DAT signal coming across, does that mean it's receiving the frequency? I also get a "Ctrl Ch Only Not Found" error soon.

The 796D does not track 9600 baud (P25) control channels, only 3600 baud (Motorola) control channels. The digital card in that scanner can decode P25 CAI (voice) on a Motorola Type II system, but it cannot track a true P25 system due to the aforementioned difference in the control channels.

phillydjdan

As Chauffeur stated, the scanner was designed and manufactured before P25 technology, or maybe right around the time it was first coming out. Simply put, Uniden did not have the technology built into that model to decode a 9600 baud true P25 trunking system. It's just simply too old. Same with my Pro-96. I tried everything to get it to track the system, and it just won't do it. It's not built to. Sorry if that disappoints you, I know it disappoints me. I would suggest to anyone that wants to monitor the new Philly system to buy a 396T, 396XT, 996T, 996XT, Pro-106, Pro-197 or PSR-800. Those are the models that I can confirm will track the new system (until they switch to Phase 2, then only the PSR-800 will).

NUGEN

Dan, the Pro96 does work, PM me and I'll send you my win96 file. I also got the uniden BC796D picking up the talkgroups but they are coming across garbled. I am getting the DAT symbol and it is hitting the talkgroups, problem is they are sounding like they're encoded. I am only concerned about this working for Phase 1 right now.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
The Uniden BCD796D does indeed track 9600 baud Project-25 systems; they're in use all over here in Michigan.

http://www.uniden.com/content/ebiz/uniden/resources/ownersmanuals/BC796Dom.pdf

That said, they do NOT track control channel only mode to the best of my knowledge. You would need to program each zone separately AND program ALL channels in the system in ASCENDING order... If you are presented with the option for custom bandplan tables, you would then have to program in the standard one for 800MHz. Project-25. Those are the first two listed in the database notes section of the new Philly system; you would NOT need the second pair as your scanner is not capable of hearing that mode.

Good luck with programming it... By the way, you'll likely run into issues with audio clarity as that scanner has not been firmware up-lifted to fully support CQPSK (LSM) simulcast modulation; depending on where your listening post is, this may or may not be an issue.

The 796D does not track 9600 baud (P25) control channels, only 3600 baud (Motorola) control channels. The digital card in that scanner can decode P25 CAI (voice) on a Motorola Type II system, but it cannot track a true P25 system due to the aforementioned difference in the control channels.

phillydjdan

I got the p96 file, but I can't try it yet. I setup a new feed using the Pro-96, and up until tonight I had no listeners, and now I have 4 lol. I will try it when the weather clears and the listeners bail...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I stand pleasantly corrected. I knew there was some issue with the 796D and the control channels, I must've had it confused with a different model that had the 3600 vs 9600 baud issue. Hope you guys get things worked out.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I had to double check myself... The BC795 with the 296 card only support 3600 baud digital. That was the model previous to the BC796, only a slight upgrade though...

I stand pleasantly corrected. I knew there was some issue with the 796D and the control channels, I must've had it confused with a different model that had the 3600 vs 9600 baud issue. Hope you guys get things worked out.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Ahhh okay, I must've been thinking of that model. My bad, sorry for the confusion!

NUGEN

Also when programming the custom band plan it asks for a high and low and will not let me program a 6.25hz step. Can you walk me thru this option? I'm not sure what to set as a high frequency and what's the low. Also asks for a offset and other things. Any help is appreciated.

The Uniden BCD796D does indeed track 9600 baud Project-25 systems; they're in use all over here in Michigan.

http://www.uniden.com/content/ebiz/uniden/resources/ownersmanuals/BC796Dom.pdf

That said, they do NOT track control channel only mode to the best of my knowledge. You would need to program each zone separately AND program ALL channels in the system in ASCENDING order... If you are presented with the option for custom bandplan tables, you would then have to program in the standard one for 800MHz. Project-25. Those are the first two listed in the database notes section of the new Philly system; you would NOT need the second pair as your scanner is not capable of hearing that mode.

Good luck with programming it... By the way, you'll likely run into issues with audio clarity as that scanner has not been firmware up-lifted to fully support CQPSK (LSM) simulcast modulation; depending on where your listening post is, this may or may not be an issue.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Did you try the default settings first as highlighted in the users guide? 9600 Baud system should hand them out automatically to most Uniden Scanners. It's been a long time since I've programmed on of these so you'll just have to do some trial and error methods based on the users manual.

Also when programming the custom band plan it asks for a high and low and will not let me program a 6.25hz step. Can you walk me thru this option? I'm not sure what to set as a high frequency and what's the low. Also asks for a offset and other things. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.