need help programming a Whistler WS1040 for Edmonton area

Status
Not open for further replies.

starman770

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded ARC500 for programming but the problem is I don't understand trunking and how to enter it in the programming software.

I'm going to get a RadioReference membership at the end of the week. I just don't know were to start to enter the freq.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't think your scanner will work well, or at all on the AFRRCS Edmonton Simulcast towers. But, now I see the question was really about programming. I'm not familiar with the ARC 500 software.

Harry , What digital Scanner would you recommend ? Im still using the old reliable Radioshack Pro 95 . would love to upgrade soon but dont know which digital scanner to go with that will receive everything I get now plus the new digital channels .

Im currently programmed for

EPS
Fire
Municipal ( animal control )
RCMP
Airport
STARS
Local HAM repeaters
The Ladd channels

What more would I be able to get by upgrading to a digital scanner ?
Is it worth the $500 ?
Thanks

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Awesome that you're still using the Pro 95. I have one but the display is gone.

The only two multi band scanners that can properly handle the new digital Simulcast channels in the Edmonton Metro area are the Uniden SDS 100 (handheld) or the SDS 200 (base or mobile). Everywhere else in Alberta the older P25 Phase 1 scanners like the Uniden 436 and 536 will work fine on AFRRCS.

Soon your EDACS capable radio won't be able to listen to EPS, Fire or Animal Control. This will be determined by the City when they are satisfied they don't need to use the old system as a backup for AFRRCS. As of now really the only RCMP detachment you can monitor in the clear is Strathcona. That could change as early as tomorrow. STARS is still using their UHF as a backup to AFRRCS and I don't know how long this will last.

Keep in mind there are quite a few in the clear Mutual talk groups on AFRRCS that you will be able to monitor your current favorites when the team up with other users. Edmonton Fire will also stay mostly in the clear on the new system. Everyday you hear AHS EMS in the clear Edmonton Fire groups.

As the public safety groups start to go encrypted I've found other interesting stuff to listen to using the DMR and NXDN digital add ons on the newer digital scanners. There are ham repeaters that use DMR as I see that may be of interest to you.

Awesome that you're still using the Pro 95. I have one but the display is gone.

The only two multi band scanners that can properly handle the new digital Simulcast channels in the Edmonton Metro area are the Uniden SDS 100 (handheld) or the SDS 200 (base or mobile). Everywhere else in Alberta the older P25 Phase 1 scanners like the Uniden 436 and 536 will work fine on AFRRCS.

Soon your EDACS capable radio won't be able to listen to EPS, Fire or Animal Control. This will be determined by the City when they are satisfied they don't need to use the old system as a backup for AFRRCS. As of now really the only RCMP detachment you can monitor in the clear is Strathcona. That could change as early as tomorrow. STARS is still using their UHF as a backup to AFRRCS and I don't know how long this will last.

Keep in mind there are quite a few in the clear Mutual talk groups on AFRRCS that you will be able to monitor your current favorites when the team up with other users. Edmonton Fire will also stay mostly in the clear on the new system. Everyday you hear AHS EMS in the clear Edmonton Fire groups.

As the public safety groups start to go encrypted I've found other interesting stuff to listen to using the DMR and NXDN digital add ons on the newer digital scanners. There are ham repeaters that use DMR as I see that may be of interest to you.

Thanks for the Info ,

At this time, scanning is just mild hobby for me. I enjoy listening on my drive to work and in my garage. I mainly listen to RCMP, STARS , VE6 Repeaters and the LADD channels .
The scanners you speak of are unfortunately, out of my price range.

However, if I wanted to upgrade to something new while keeping all of the same features and abilities as my pro 95 which scanner would you suggest ?

Thanks again , I appreciate all this great info !

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Yes the price of the new IQ model scanners is certainly a factor for many.

I guess as an alternative I would recommend the Uniden BCD325P2. It would certainly be an upgrade from the Pro 95.

Any one else on this thread offer a suggestion as I'm sure I've missed other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.